Lathe chuck removal

bill m

Registered
Registered
Hello gents,
I have a Taiwanese bench top lathe with a screw on chuck, the manual does not show how to remove it. Any tips?
I am used to camlock chucks at work.
cheers
Bill.

It would help with a brand name, model and a picture. Chucks generally are right hand thread. First, shut off the electric to the machine. Not knowing what type you have..but lock the spindle then put in the chuck key wrench in the chuck on the side and hit the top of the wrench with a soft blow hammer. Rich

PS Put a piece of wood under the chuck to protect the ways if it falls down after you screw it off.

Thanks for the post, unfortunately it was in the wrong section "Tool Junkies". I think this is a better place.

A few more ways to remove a chuck are:

If you have a back-geared machine, lock the backgear without releasing the cone pulley, and grab it with your hand and try to turn it. DON'T jam it hard or quick. Slow pressure. Then grab something in the chuck like a short bar SIDEWAYS across the front and try to turn it. Don't rap it, or you could break a backgear tooth.

Another is to use a strap wrench on the cone pulley, and a piece of wood grabbed sideways across the front of the chuck, and let the wood press of the lathe bed.

Another way I used (out of desperation recently) is to run the machine in backgear, in REVERSE. And use an easily releasable strap wrench (I used a two foot bar and an old leather back support belt) wrapped around the chuck. The nice thing about this is it cannot get stuck, as you just let it go and it loosens.

Bernie

Thanks for tips gentlemen, my apologies for posting in the wrong section. I did realize afterwards but could not delete my post.
Will be interacting with said chuck this week end. The lathe in question is a Taiwanese copy branded Hafco (an Aussie Machine tool company) and is a copy of a Emco compact 8.
Same as this one here... http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L157
cheers
Bill.

Last edited:
Almost certain that's the same base lathe as the Precision Matthews 1127V. Maybe someone here has some good info on how to hold the spindle.

Good luck. -And remember to unplug the thing first.

Ray

Thanks for tips gentlemen, my apologies for posting in the wrong section. I did realize afterwards but could not delete my post.
Will be interacting with said chuck this week end. The lathe in question is a Taiwanese copy branded Hafco (an Aussie Machine tool company) and is a copy of a Emco compact 8.
Same as this one here... http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L157
cheers
Bill.

Hi Bill,I have the same machine.remove the little safety bracket on the rear of the chuck,then put a round bar(about 5/16 I think) in one of the holes in the spindal to hold the chuck from turning ,then put the key in the chuck and a light tap should undo the chuck .

Ian(seagar)

Back