Lathe cleaning

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
I have a g0709 lathe and need to give it a real good cleaning......what do you folks use to clean every little bit of gunk off of your lathe?

Purple power I dilute it with water and don’t let it linger longer necessary

I like purple power too but I use it straight and in small areas at a time with a stiff brush.

W/D 40 or kerosene and have good ventilation. The problem I have with water based cleaners is removing the water to prevent rusting. My go to method at the farm is a high pressure washer. Then blow parts off with air followed by coating with oil if not being painted. Love the pressure washer for cleaning farm equipment.

Low-odor tiki-torch lamp fuel.
It's just kerosene with low odor.
Brush it on, let it sit for a few minutes. Clean up with that towel your wife didn't see you take.
If the gunk is really thick, brush on a heavy coat of motor oil on, and leave it for a day or two.
The idea is to get the gunk soft, and then it'll wipe off. Then you can come back with the spray degreaser for a final wipedown.

Ok......First time I heard of it, I'll try it

Thanks
Oil eater if used full strength will soften some paints, it should be diluted with water; I never had a problem with it regarding rusting, if paint is softened, it will reharden in a short time.

Oil eater if used full strength will soften some paints, it should be diluted with water; I never had a problem with it regarding rusting, if paint is softened, it will reharden in a short time.
Sound like it might be similar to purple power. Starting diluted a bit is a safe way to go . If the oil is not dried on for 50 years it will clean much quicker and a quick spray and then wipe is all that might be needed. As mention full power can soften paint if it is allowed to dwell. I make a point to be careful around data plates feed charts ect The cleaner can attack poorly silk screened letters and remove them

Back