Lathe dilemma

GreyhawkUSA30340

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
My 91-year-old dad is giving me his early 1970's Craftsman/Atlas "Commercial" 12x36 metal lathe (model 101.28900 I think), which I just have to move (planned for sometime in the next month, perhaps). I recently fitted it with an import knock off of an Aloris-style QCTP since I was frustrated using the lantern style, and it comes with 3 and 4 jaw chucks, faceplate, and various other accessories/tooling. He's owned it since new, used it to good effect over the past ~50 years, I'm just not sure how well maintained it actually was though -- while it's not terrible to work with, it's not without issues either.

Nonetheless, I still find myself occasionally looking to see what (else) is available on Craigslist (or eBay) within a reasonable distance. So the other day I went to look at a Logan 11x36 (model 1957-H) -- serial number indicates it was built in 1970. It has a lot of advantages over the Craftsman (V-ways, large-diameter spindle, 5C collets and closer, etc..), including some up-grades like a DRO, Aloris QCTP, and 3-phase Baldor motor with Inverter VFD, as well as lots of other good accessories and tooling (6 and 4 jaw chucks). The asking price is $3600, but it has it's own set of issues too so I would hope to get it for less... It has been well used, apparently professionally, but at least the bed does not appear too worn (the -H indicates hardened ways).

Of course one needs two lathes -- one to repair the other -- right? Right?

But can my somewhat-rickety barn floor support two such machines (plus my brand new PM-30MV mill)? What else could I use the $3K+ for?

What is my real question? IDK. I'm sure you guys must have something to say!

If your floor is actually somewhat rickety that should be addressed before you get your lathe in there. If there's actually a chance the lathe could fall through, or bow the floor enough to tip (they're top heavy!), then it's just an accident waiting to happen.

GsT

Being frugal (some say cheap) I would really think hard about spending $3600 on a 50 year old lathe. Especially one that has been well used. There may be all kinds of hidden issues that won't rear their ugly head until you try to use it. Personally I would pass. Use the craftsman until it no longer meets your needs. Then you will know what you really need in a lathe.

The 1236 craftsman is not a bad lathe.
I use a pair of Shenwai 1236 lathes and a Victor 2040 at the shop. Most of the work is done on the Shenwai’s due to the wonderful working envelope.

Unless you are working on very large pieces, a 1236 is the perfect size IMHO

Providing the lathe is somehow not a basket case, you would be better off to repair it than buying a replacement

What are the issues you are having? What do you need/want to make with it?

I agree that you should use it for awhile and see what you like and don't like about it. Then decide if you want to keep it or get something else. A 12 x 36 should work for DIY/hobbyist work.

I would put it on a better floor as well.

Keep us posted!

Thanks everybody for the feedback. There's nothing particularly wrong with my Dad's Craftsman -- it's just a "greener-grass" scenario; the Logan came with more bells and whistles, but probably was in worse mechanical condition. Anyway I have passed on it; I notice the listing was taken down so don't know if the seller found somebody else or what.

The barn floor is not going to cave in or anything like that, it's just long spans without sufficient support. I can remedy that... And maybe there is a way to get a slab down on the ground floor (barn cellar) in the back extension where there might be a little more headroom, but that would be a bit of a longer term project.

A rickety floor isn't necessarily a problem. The stability of the lathe can be enhanced by placing it on a super rigid base. As long as the base doesn't flex, the lathe won't be going out of alignment. Not being able to level a lathe is an issue but precision leveling isn't done by many users. Skip that step and go to the two collar test or the RDM method of leveling and you can set up a very serviceable machine. Using three feet on your base rather than four will prevent any rocking. I use two additional feet on either side of the third foot to prevent any possibility of tipping the lathe. These feet just kiss the floor and normally don't carry any weight.

skip

The Logan is still available, the seller called me yesterday to see whether I was still interested. I suspect I may have been the only "serious" inquiry he has had... But I've got other things to worry about for the next month or three...

Back