Lathe does a favor for the bandsaw

oaklandish

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I ordered new ceramic guides for the bandsaw but the factory mounting posts had been modified by the previous owner. In order for the new Laguna guides to fit I needed to turn a couple of new posts.

I found this mystery steel in the scrap bin at the local metal supply.
IMG_7199.JPG

IMG_7200.JPG

IMG_7201.JPG

Major diameter of the post is turned
IMG_7202.jpg

Minor diameter is turned, chamfered and cleaned up with scotch-brite:
IMG_7203.jpg

Slotting the post for the retention screw:
IMG_7204.JPG

Lower post is finished:IMG_7205.JPG

Installed in the ceramic guide block:
IMG_7207.JPG

Mounted to the underside of the bandsaw table.
IMG_7208.jpg

Upper mounting post was a single diameter. Turned, polished, slotted and installed:
IMG_7211.JPG

IMG_7212.JPG

Happy bandsaw....
IMG_7213.JPG

My that is a clean looking shop.
Thanks. I spent about 3 months totally remodeling it. New dust collection, table saw, bandsaw, jointer/planer, and drill press. I made new rolling bases for all of these machines. So moving 1000lb machines into a central location and then moving them back when done, is now a breeze. Moved the milling machine, built plywood storage and lumber racks. We built a custom plenum for the supply air on the furnace that allowed us to dedicate the old furnace room as a metal working/machine shop. Tons of electrical upgrades and modifications as well.

IMG_7099.JPG

IMG_7101.JPG

IMG_7102.JPG

IMG_7410.JPG

IMG_7408.jpg

IMG_7355.JPG

IMG_7235.JPG

IMG_7234.JPG

A surface plate in a drawer. That is just plane decadent :) (and clever)

A surface plate in a drawer. That is just plane decadent :) (and clever)
Thanks. it actually works really well. The drawer slides were a little bit of a pain to get aligned but they each can carry about 2x the weight of the slab so I am confident in the structural integrity. I ordered the locking type as well. so they lock in the open and closed position. The weight of the surface plate holds the drawer in place and when closed the plate is protected from things falling on it or me being lazy and setting things on it when not in use.

Back