Lathe Dogs

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
I have a question, i'm going to make some lathe dogs, my question is how much space is needed for your stock to fit in, i was going to use bar stock of different sizes so i could drill the centers out to handle common bar sizes [1/2, and so on, i was going to cut the bar stock a 1/2 wide drill my centers them weld my leg on and then install a set screw, ty :)) Mac

l

That depends on if you want to used the same dog for a range of sizes or if you want one dog for each fractional size. If you're making one per size I'd only make them .015"-.02" over the fractional size.

I have a question, i'm going to make some lathe dogs, my question is how much space is needed for your stock to fit in, i was going to use bar stock of different sizes so i could drill the centers out to handle common bar sizes [1/2, and so on, i was going to cut the bar stock a 1/2 wide drill my centers them weld my leg on and then install a set screw, ty :)) Mac

Another way is to use a short length of iron pipe (water or gas) of sufficient diameter to allow the piece to be turned to easily fit inside (doesn't need to even be close).
Drill and tap the side of the pipe to take say a 1/4" dia bolt that's equal to the radius of your faceplate in length.
Clamp the workpiece in the pipe with bolt and mount it between centers, then fit a bolt to the faceplate that's long enough for the bolt clamping the workpiece in the pipe to engage with.

The i.d. of the pipe is not at all critical so you'd only need a couple of them (if that) to cover anything you might want to turn between centers, and it's cheap, easy, and no welding involved.

M

l

That depends on if you want to used the same dog for a range of sizes or if you want one dog for each fractional size. If you're making one per size I'd only make them .015"-.02" over the fractional size.

Is it really that critical? As long as the workpiece is firmly clamped inside the dog, does it matter whether the dog is even close to centered, just as long as the dogleg can engage with the faceplate?

The only downside I could see would be a balance or vibration issue if say a heavy 6" diameter dog was used to clamp a 1/4" diameter workpiece, but that would be an extreme case.

M

l

If you have some square or retangular bar stock you could make an adjustable one like in the attached photo that would cover many sizes determined by the space between and length of the bolts. The photo does not show it very well but note that there grooves in the center of the bars to locate over the stock being turned.
Lathe Dog - Adjustable.jpg

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

Lathe Dog - Adjustable.jpg

Thanks for the info guys, i think you all pretty much told me what i need, i will be getting back into house and garage in the next cple weeks and this is a project i need to get done first, thanks a bunch:)) Mac

My 2cts.: For me, purchased dogs are 35+ miles each way, through a bazillion stop lights and speed zones, or I don't have to wait for shipping, and the notion that every now and then I can build one more suitable for the job than a commercial one, and I do have some of those too.

I made one of the same style BCall showed. Used 1/2" square stock. Notched in the middle to center on the stock. 2 1/4-20 bolts to clamp it on the workpiece, and one 1/4-20 bolt to engage the drive. I think it took me about 1/2 hour to make.

Back