Lathe DRO uses X and Y, instead of Z and Y

andrewgr

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I got the DRO pre-installed by PM on my 1340Gt. I believe it was one of the first ones that used their newest model DRO.

It accepts input into its X and Y ports; the Z port is not installed and just has an empty housing where the port would be.

It's not a big deal to pretend the X is a Z, but it does make the Z+Y function useless (I have no idea if I'd ever want to use this functionality). Also, it offends my minor OCD. :)

Is this the way most lathe DRO's work? Is it expected? And are there any other downsides between the two minor ones I mentioned above?

Thanks in advance.

That happens as many DROs are designed to be useable on either a mill or lathe. (+) functionality is only useful where two devices are or can be in the same direction, like a mill quill and knee, or a lathe carriage and tailstock. With only two axis there is no real good use case for that

It's because most DRO displays being sold are "universal" displays, for use with mills, lathes, & grinders. The "Z port" that you are refering to is empty on a 2 axis display. It's present on a 3 axis display & would be displayed as the 3rd axis.

Not very many vendors offer lathe specific DRO displays due to selling/inventory reasons but they do exist. I have a lathe specific display. A lathe specific display won't have all the mill functions which are pretty much useless on a lathe. Lathe specific display will also have a button to quickly toggle from radius & diameter mode for the X axis, although many of the universal display have this button now. And of course they're labeled correctly for the Z axis.

Nothing wrong with using a universal display unless you have really bad OCD and the Y/Z label bothers you. BTW, on a lathe it's X & Z, not Y & Z. When using a universal DRO display (or any display actually), X should be connected to the cross slide, top/1st axis on the display, Carriage (Z) should be connected to "Y", the second axis on the display. Reason being, if your DRO display has the radius/diameter mode toggle button, it only works for the 1st/top X axis.

20190302_145913.jpg

(Actual Y axis on a lathe would be a milling attachment)
Screenshot_20200302-041028.jpg

I intentionally set mine as x=carriage feed, y=cross feed. From my point of view (which is the only one that counts), it's the same on both lathe and mill. I don't lose any sleep over it.

I have purchased 2 lathes from PM with factory installed DROs. I noted which is the cross slide display (top) & which is the carriage display (bottom). Once I identified which is which, I started work using the DROs.

Interestingly, I *never* use the (analog) dials on the cross slide & carriage handwheels. The only time I look at these when I’m cleaning them.

The Magexact has X&Z. The newer glass scale DRO's they show on the website is labeled X and Y/Z.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 9.12.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 9.12.24 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 107
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 9.14.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 9.14.03 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 82
Interestingly, I *never* use the (analog) dials on the cross slide & carriage handwheels. The only time I look at these when I’m cleaning them.
I can see why, I'm the same way using the mill. DRO's are amazing. I would love to have one on my lathe.

I can see why, I'm the same way using the mill. DRO's are amazing. I would love to have one on my lathe.
Jeff,
In the world of machining, a DRO is probably the most bang for the buck that you can get. Take a gamble, drop a couple hundred bucks. I'm sure you've spent more and gotten less.

Take a gamble, drop a couple hundred bucks.
??
I haven't found anything under $500.
A question on a lathe DRO.
I cant remember what you call it, when I move my cross slide .010" on the dial, it moves .005"
With a DRO, if you are trying to hit a dimension by removing .012", do you dial in .006"?
Is there a setting or a way to read like my lathe example with a DRO? Is that clear as mud?

There should be a diameter/radius setting.

??
I haven't found anything under $500.
A question on a lathe DRO.
I cant remember what you call it, when I move my cross slide .010" on the dial, it moves .005"
With a DRO, if you are trying to hit a dimension by removing .012", do you dial in .006"?
Is there a setting or a way to read like my lathe example with a DRO? Is that clear as mud?

Back