Lathe ID

Tincamp67

Registered
Registered
A friend has this little lathe in his basement, that he “might“ sell me. It’s not a necessity as I have a SB 9C., but it kind of interests me. This thing has no name plate, but is in pretty nice shape and he has extra gears for it. Not knowing who made it, I’m not sure if they are change gears for threading, or just spares.

Is about 12” between centers, and a heavy little thing for its size. No real tooling other than the 4 jaw.

I’m sure someone will know exactly what this is, then, maybe I can do some research before discussing price.

Attachments

• E7297020-AAFA-4FD2-9AE7-AC8511550C08.jpeg
    E7297020-AAFA-4FD2-9AE7-AC8511550C08.jpeg
    377.4 KB · Views: 114
Craftsman 109 / Atlas 618 - 6" metal lathe -
Cute little things, made to a price, with the disadvantage that it doesn't have a through hole in the spindle.
It does have a following, however - This place has parts:

Spend whatever you would have spent for this new lathe on your Southbend.....
Upgrades, repairs, tooling
Just my opinion, yours may very

Thank you for the input Gents. Depending on price, I may buy it anyway to play with, it seems to be pretty sturdy for its size.

As for the SB, I’ve had it 20+ years, and it’s the only lathe I know. Whatever skill I have, is self taught on that machine. If I had my druthers, I’d take a SB 9 with a quick change gear box, or a heavy 10. But, they just don’t seem to come up for sale around here, unless the price is premium. So, I will putter along with the 9C and maybe the little Craftsman, I know my friend won’t use it for anything other than making dowels.

Would that Crafsman have come with a set of change gears?

Spend whatever you would have spent for this new lathe on your Southbend.....
Upgrades, repairs, tooling
Just my opinion, yours may very
I was trying to be kind :~)
A 2 part article on an extensive rebuild and improvement on one of these little guys in The Home Shop Machinist mag. -
May/June and July/Aug. 2022
It "could" be an interesting project, depending on your mind set.

Way back, you are absolutely right. It is a great project and a useful machine tool.

Well, that's the thing - The guy's SB 9 is, of course, much more useful as a machine tool, but the little Atlas/Craftsman is a vintage US made machine, and if you look at it a certain way, it's worthy of saving - You just have to be realistic about it's capabilities..
For example - I have a "collection" of very old, bench top, flat belt drive drill presses - Not really useful for any serious precision drilling work, but I think they're interesting, and attractive, to me anyway.

Craftsman 109 / Atlas 618 - 6" metal lathe -
Just so there’s no confusion, the 109 is not the same as an Atlas 618. They may both be 6” swing but they are considerably different machines. Perhaps you were thinking of the 101.21400 which is essentially a 618 but with the Craftsman badge.

-frank

Back