Lathe ID

I’m not even sure what exactly I would do with it, other than putter with it. But, if he throws out some crazy low price, like $50, I don’t think I could refuse. Even if I just clean it up, and get it running well. My friend is 80, so when something happens to him, his wife won’t want it, this would end up in the scrap metal bin at the dump.

Just so there’s no confusion, the 109 is not the same as an Atlas 618. They may both be 6” swing but they are considerably different machines. Perhaps you were thinking of the 101.21400 which is essentially a 618 but with the Craftsman badge.

-frank
This is correct. Notice that there is no dial on the cross-feed, so without adding a dial indicator or other means to indicate travel, precision is unlikely.

To answer another question, yes, there was a set of change gears included when new. I don't know how many were in the set, but likely enough to give a variety of feeds, and perhaps some threading pitches.

Just so there’s no confusion, the 109 is not the same as an Atlas 618. They may both be 6” swing but they are considerably different machines. Perhaps you were thinking of the 101.21400 which is essentially a 618 but with the Craftsman badge.

-frank
My bad - You're correct, they are different lathes.
This one is a Craftsman 109

Where would someone look for a gear chart? My SB has a brass plate on the gear cover with all the data. This apparently doesn’t have that. Maybe did years ago, but not now.

Last edited:
There are a number of publication reprints here, some of which may have a gear chart for you. I just briefly scanned the 109.0702 operating manual and didn’t see one but there are other documents related to the same lathe that might have it. This is probably your best bet unless someone happens to be sitting on a physical copy.

Here’s the link…

I believe the 109 has a planetary gear drive to slow down the spindle speeds.

As it turns out, I’m going to pass on this lathe. Got a closer look at it, and although it is in good condition, there is no threading dial, and he does not have the extra gears for threading. Despite thinking he did. Never even talked about price.

Back