Lathe Identification

Rcdizy

Registered
Registered
I know it is a King Canada, which I believe is Canadian only, however it look similar to me to other import brands.
I would like to know where to get parts if I need them

PS sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum?

.16376885455_7d45815e9d_h.jpg
16189260768_1b37b4a2d8_h.jpg

16376885455_7d45815e9d_h.jpg 16189260768_1b37b4a2d8_h.jpg

i'd try Grizzly for parts.
the lathe is most likely a Chinese(Taiwanese) Gap Bed 1340 or 1440, i can't tell exactly from the picture.
it looks similar to the Grizzly 4003G, but the Grizz 1340 looks differently now.
the older models of Grizz may have looked exactly the same.

good luck,
mike:))

Last edited:
Long story short......

If I want to remove the carriage on this lathe to check for chips / scarf between the vees, is it as straight forward as lowering the apron out of the way, loosening off the lead/powerfeed screw bearing block, and sliding the carriage off the end of the lathe?

I think i want to attempt it without driving out the pins and completely removing the leads screws.... dumb idea if careful?

Im almost 100% certain that i will be able to get it apart without much difficulty, Will reassembly be tricky to do? will the rear and front gigs fall out when i remove the apron?

Or can i put it back together without adjusting gibs?

any comments appreciated.

It's hard to say, without a parts diagram, as to how to go about it. On most lathes, including mine, the front and rear "gibs" are not adjustable and have been scraped in. If yours are adjustable, don't worry about putting it back together. You will be able to adjust them just fine, with no slop but a good sliding fit.

Even without a parts diagram, I wouldn't hesitate to go ahead and take it apart methodically. Take lots of pics as you go, to refer to, and take notes... bagging groups of parts and labelling them. You have lots of help here if you get stuck, but post some close-ups as you go along. It's never as difficult as it seems at first, and you will have learned something about your machine.

Good luck :)

Brian

It looks identical to my Birmingham CT-1440G. I have purchased parts from C. P. Tools in El Monte, CA. 626-579-9696. Ask to speak to Jose.

probably as simple as taking out the bolts that hold he saddle on to the apron and the ones holding the gib at the back
maybe some dowelpins between saddle and apron
support apron before loosening the bolts

I will caution you that Asian made machines that look identical often will not fit parts you purchased for identical machines. I found that out wasting money on a knee mill that was identical to a Grizzly,but was sold by Enco. Enco discontinued the blasted thing,so no parts.

Parts for Asian machines are often only available for a FEW years after they were made. Years ago,even Sears offered parts for 10 years.

+1 to what donjohn said. Looks darn close to my '98 Birmingham also.
We have a couple of manuals and parts list for it, but as George stated - spares are not readily available.

_Dan
It looks identical to my Birmingham CT-1440G. I have purchased parts from C. P. Tools in El Monte, CA. 626-579-9696. Ask to speak to Jose.

Back