[Newbie] Lathe Identification

Snogix

Registered
Registered
Hey everybody, i'm new to the site and new to machining and thought i would post a quick hello.

I have a friend that dropped a lathe off in my garage and I was thinking of getting it setup as a Metal lathe, he said it's a wood/metal lathe, but it's setup for wood right now. Would it be possible to setup for Metal? And does anybody know what the brand is? Or is it a frankenlathe?

IMG_0701.JPG

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, no it cannot. That is a wood lathe and in my opinion that is all it will ever be. Sorry. Maybe someone else will see something I don't. Anyway, welcome aboard.

"Billy G" :))

Maybe it can be used for metal spinning? The headstock seems rather beefy.

I'm with Bill on this one. And one other thing I'd like to point out. The On/Off switch is located in a place where it can easily be switched on accidentally -and you don't want bad thing to happen to your fingers and hands. -Not trying to sound like a jerk but rather, trying to point-out a serious safety issue. Single switch machines usually have the switch located to the left and mid-center to upward of the headstock or, on a separate attachment out of reach of accidental engagement.

Ray

Thanks for the info guys, i appreciate it. Maybe i'll keep my eye out for a real metal lathe.

definitely a wood lathe - don't think it can be expected to meet metal-lathe tolerances. that said, for a wood lathe, it looks to be very...very...very well made! much beefier than anything made today in that size range (look at all that cast iron!!!).

might be worth restoring and selling (if you don't need a wood lathe) to pay for some of that future metal lathe.

Back