Lathe Insert Question

StudioMachinist

Registered
Registered
I purchased the "AXA Master Turning/Boring Tool Set" with my 1130V. In the description it says:

"Includes all turning tools and boring bars as shown, plus 10 inserts for steel/stainless, and 10 inserts for aluminum/brass"

The inserts aren't labeled, however. Just 10 silver, 10 gold. Can't anyone tell me what is what?

I use inserts, and the 'for aluminum' ones are always silver/chrome coloured. You can also look at the geometry of the insert- the 'for aluminum ones have a lot more top rake i.e. they look 'hooked up' at the tip. They also usually feel a bit sharper than the 'for steel' ones.
BTW, the 'for aluminum' ones cut steel OK, especially in a low powered (7x) lathe. With your PM that won't be an issue, though it might be worth experimenting. Inserts from China (aliExpress) are pretty cheap, so not a lot of tears when I break one :)

Per their website.
"Uses the popular CCMT/CCGT 300 Series Inserts, meaning that you can easily source replacement cutting inserts later on – No special inserts needed like many sets out there"
10 PC CCMT 300 SERIES INSERTS FOR STEEL/STAINLESS (Gold Color Inserts)
10 PC CCGT 300 SERIES INSERTS FOR ALUMINUM/BRASS (Silver Color Inserts)

When looking for replacement inserts you would most likely be looking for 32.51 / 3-1-SM / 09T304-SM size inserts. There is different sizing nomenclature.
Korloy CCGT 32.51-AK H01 09T304 is an uncoated ground edge insert for softer materials and light cuts in steel.
ISCAR CCMT 32.51 / 3-1-SM / 09T304-SM Grade IC907 is a molded edge coated insert good for steel, SS, etc.

In a smaller machine, carbide will not cut as well as ground HSS, a smaller nose radius is desired so CCMT 09T302-SM CCMT 3-0-SM inserts may be desirable that allow smaller DOC. Larger nose radius needs deeper DOC and higher feed rates for good finish, so heavier machine, more rigid, and increased HP. If boring then lighter cuts and try the CCGT inserts.

Learning to sharpen HSS is probably the way to go for hobby machines (and there is an excellent mega-sharpening thread on HM). But if you want to see the difference without going down that rabbit hole, you can get HSS inserts from A.R.Warner: https://www.arwarnerco.com/CCMW-3-2-5-1-p/inserts-ccmw-3251.htm for your tool holders.

Learning to sharpen HSS is probably the way to go for hobby machines (and there is an excellent mega-sharpening thread on HM). But if you want to see the difference without going down that rabbit hole, you can get HSS inserts from A.R.Warner: https://www.arwarnerco.com/CCMW-3-2-5-1-p/inserts-ccmw-3251.htm for your tool holders.
You must learn the basics, before the advance stuff, learn HSS....it's versatile.....plus most if not all engine lathes, will not stand up to the advanced speeds and feeds that carbide require.
I have seen a lot of people create more problems for themselves because they insist on running inserts.....learn HSS....

You must learn the basics, before the advance stuff, learn HSS....it's versatile.....

I also love that all used lathe or toolbox seems to come a few pounds of HSS blanks. I've never bought a HSS blank, but I have at least 10 pounds of them.

HF has packs with smaller HSS for $4.99 good small cutoff blades and 1/4 square HSS in them I buy a handful when i go in.

I purchased the "AXA Master Turning/Boring Tool Set" with my 1130V. In the description it says:

"Includes all turning tools and boring bars as shown, plus 10 inserts for steel/stainless, and 10 inserts for aluminum/brass"

The inserts aren't labeled, however. Just 10 silver, 10 gold. Can't anyone tell me what is what?

I also purchased the same set. The tool holders do not allow the tools to sit against the bottom and the back as the tool holder has a radius that does not permit engagement at the back and bottom. Does anyone know what that is about?

Back