Lathe Inserts

jroma1

Active User
Registered
I recently purchased a 5 pc indexable lathe tool bit set. All I've ever used in the past are the standard 1/4,5/16 & 3/8 inch square HSS bits. Indexable cutters are new to me and I need help in trying to identify the different types.
View attachment 80890

Above are four of the five bits,with these came two wrenches and extra screws.
  • The inserts are C2 carbide and are attached to a shank 1/4" sq 2" long
  • Each are designated with the letters AL,AR,BR,BL&E (Straight) What does this mean?

View attachment 80891

View attachment 80894

Shown above is the 5th bit much to my suprise it cuts better than anything I used in the past.
I have downloaded info from the internet one such source is the Lovejoy Tool Co. In one instance they indicate C2 is used on non ferrous metals in an other instance C2 can be used for heavy cutting and over a wide range of speeds and feeds. Are there two grades of C2? Question is,how do I find out what type of inserts came with this set. The metal used in the photos is 12L14 and I'm happy with the results. How do I order C6's or C5's? They have a "GRADE" called 908XRm and another 586XRm and it is my understanding these two parts are in the C1,C2 class

Have these designations been standardized or does every manufacturer use their own numbering system. Is there any basic info available to clarify this problem.

Any comments suggestions greatly appreciated Thanks

John Romano

Last edited by a moderator:
I ground enough to know I could do it, then order indexable tools. For basic things, it's just alot easier to work with imo.

I have a variety of HSS, some with cobalt, plus a variety of carbide insert holders BUT what I use the most are these
http://bay-com.com/product-list.php?DIAMOND_TOOLHOLDER-pg1-cid35.html
their Crobalt bit is awesome and can be resharpened very quickly. After you have chipped enough carbide inserts you will start looking for something more forgiving and it will be these. The holder price might make your eyes water but after you cry once you will be laughing at how little they cost to use.

I probably use 60/40 inset tools to HSS. Many of my HSS are ones that I had to custom grind for either an oddball thread process or making an o-ring or snap-ring groove. I like the convenience of the carbide inserts but they do add up cost wise.

Mike.

I recently purchased a 5 pc indexable lathe tool bit set. All I've ever used in the past are the standard 1/4,5/16 & 3/8 inch square HSS bits. Indexable cutters are new to me and I need help in trying to identify the different types. PICT0007.JPG

Above are four of the five bits,with these came two wrenches and extra screws.
  • The inserts are C2 carbide and are attached to a shank 1/4" sq 2" long
  • Each are designated with the letters AL,AR,BR,BL&E (Straight) What does this mean?

PICT0003.JPG

PICT0001.JPG

Shown above is the 5th bit much to my suprise it cuts better than anything I used in the past.
I have downloaded info from the internet one such source is the Lovejoy Tool Co. In one instance they indicate C2 is used on non ferrous metals in an other instance C2 can be used for heavy cutting and over a wide range of speeds and feeds. Are there two grades of C2? Question is,how do I find out what type of inserts came with this set. The metal used in the photos is 12L14 and I'm happy with the results. How do I order C6's or C5's? They have a "GRADE" called 908XRm and another 586XRm and it is my understanding these two parts are in the C1,C2 class

Have these designations been standardized or does every manufacturer use their own numbering system. Is there any basic info available to clarify this problem.

Any comments suggestions greatly appreciated Thanks

John Romano

PICT0007.JPG PICT0003.JPG PICT0001.JPG

Well, it's obvious that the first 2, AL and AR, stand for Alabama and Arkansas.

You'll need to pack some bags to use those. :rofl:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. The L & R probably refer to Left and Right. That is, the direction the cutter is pointed.

Just to give a bit more food for thought, the cut looks very nice but when you re-order more inserts in the future, look for the same ones but increase the radius a bit on the tip of the insert. A bit of a radius will give a smoother, cleaner finish especially when combined with a lighter finish or final cut.

Mike.

Yea I use the hhs for interupted cuts and form tool. Or if the rpm for the carbide is just to high for my machine. But I love them for turning and facing. I need to get a doring bar and try it out.

Them tools look pretty cool. When i get to the point of buying some new turning tools, I might look into one or two

The L and R are indeed left and right, but you need to think of them as "from the left" and "from the right", rather than "to the left", etc. The A and B are comparative angles of the insert.

Back