Lathe lube

I don't know about "the best" if there is such a thing, but I use 20W non-detergent for everything except the ways on my 618. For those I use a way oil Lubriplate 3-V mostly because I could buy it in a litre size rather than five gallons. Way oil is hard to find in my area. Change gears I use a graphite grease.

-frank

Assuming you mean for the ways. Mobil Vactra is readily available. About $25-35 gallon at many supply houses. Gallon should last a lifetime for most hobbyists. I bought 2 and 4. Mostly roll with the 2 but sometimes I like a bit thicker oil.
c437f0b0f185a41da6040abe6570607f.jpg

as long as you keep moisture out of the bottles, they are stable for many years

i use ISO68 and ISO100 AW(antiwear) hydraulic fluids in my lathes and other machine tools since SAE30ND is no longer available in California :mad:

I don't know about "the best" if there is such a thing, but I use 20W non-detergent for everything except the ways on my 618. For those I use a way oil Lubriplate 3-V mostly because I could buy it in a litre size rather than five gallons. Way oil is hard to find in my area. Change gears I use a graphite grease.

-frank
Thanks Frank, I have 20W non detergent oil and I think graphite grease, so I will search for the Lubriplate 3-V

Assuming you mean for the ways. Mobil Vactra is readily available. About $25-35 gallon at many supply houses. Gallon should last a lifetime for most hobbyists. I bought 2 and 4. Mostly roll with the 2 but sometimes I like a bit thicker oil.
View attachment 252665
At my age a Pint would probably be a lifetime....lol Thanks for the info

as long as you keep moisture out of the bottles, they are stable for many years

i use ISO68 and ISO100 AW(antiwear) hydraulic fluids in my lathes and other machine tools since SAE30ND is no longer available in California :mad:
Does ND foul the air or what? I can't figure out what the big deal would be. I use ISO 46 and ISO 68, haven't heard about the Anti wear ISO AW. I'll be looking for it in the morning!

ISO68 & 32 here also. picked up a 5 gal bucket at an estate sale for $5.
Also have another bucket of ISO46 that I use to coat columns, bases, vises and other 'non-critical' machined surfaces...
I coat everything constantly in a vain attempt to keep the rust at bay. The rust is winning.

Ran across a reference quite awhile back with recommendations for using ISOxx for lubrication.
Certain additives might be missing compared to other specialized lubes, but given the cost difference. . .

ISO 32 –
Head Stock Gears
Ball Oilers

ISO 68 –
Bed Ways
Lead Screw
Feed Rods

Back