Lathe made of concrete....

sic semper tyrannis

Active User
Registered
"Machine-tool making techniques from the 1830s to the 1960s

First came the Multimachine, a home-built milling machine that could be used as an all purpose machine tool. It was a 2007 Popular Mechanics DIY project of the year and the centerpiece of Maker Faire Africa in 2009. It could be be built using only automotive scrap and steel bar.

Our latest project comes from a prize winning design for a 1915 cannon shell making machine that was made from concrete. It is a general purpose screw cutting metal lathe (the basis of all industrial production) that is built using only concrete mix and scrap.

Alternative methods of construction will be shown including one that needs no outside machining and one that uses no metal fasteners for the concrete form and very few screws, bolts or nuts.

Every technique we use has been proven for over 95 years.'

FASCINATING!!!!

http://makeprojects.com/Project/The-Multimachine-150-12-Inch-Swing-Metal-Lathe-Mill-Drill/1751/1

Very interesting. I remain a bit skeptical though, on the cost factor, as well as the whole viability of the project. Specifically, how it is affected by "chatter" and vibration during continuous use.

I'd like to see it actually tried out. It looks great on paper, but.... ;)

Thanks,

-Ron

VERY INTERESTING ! Tyrannis, are you the sponsor or a part of this project? I don't see where you are based. Just curious. I know cement can be as smooth as a baby's ---. so I would think the rest is just a matter of calculation and building. I checked out the website and I would think that would work in many locations, but getting the cement and supplies would possibly make it as difficult as a normal machine. Maybe you could enlighten us on a real working model. Would like to know more. Thanx
dickr

There is a current thread and build that is going into world wide distribution on another Yahoo site. The guys have perfected using concrete and old engine blocks to help the third world get some machining capability. If any one is interested I will post a link to the site and let you have a look at their progress so far. It is currently being translated to various languages and color coded so even a non reader can produce the machines. PM or answer here if you interested in translating or seeing the project. Those guys have been working on this for a couple of years and have made hugee strides into helping the third world feed and produce goods for themselves.

Bob

Back