Lathe make and site questions

Wildvortex

Registered
Registered
I found this lathe on line. Anyone have any Intel on this make and this site? Price seems really low compared to others with the same lathe.

PRM lathe link

It has supersonic hardened bedways. How could you go wrong with that?

I found this lathe on line. Anyone have any Intel on this make and this site? Price seems really low compared to others with the same lathe.

PRM lathe link
It looks similar to the Bolton I had. For that money you can find a decent used machine. But if you’re really interested see if you can get someone on the phone and start asking questions. Ask if it’s a Bolton or Toolots and if it is I really can’t recommend it

I personally wouldn’t take a chance on it, there are too many things that can disappoint with low end machine tools.

John

Good morning, From what I can see these lathes are generic and the only difference is the name tag. These lathes are not for production work and are really for a garage or basement shop. Mine being a 1440 with a brake that I bought in 2009 for $2,700.00 has worked out well for me after having an Atlas worn but usable, a Logan and few others I needed a bigger machine. Problem is old iron is expensive, really heavy and more then likely in need of some repair. I took the shot with a Clausing style Chinese import. With some tweaking it is serving me well. The only thing I had to replace was a motor capacitor. The only thing I learned is that I would never again buy a geared machine. These lathes at this time have tripled in price. as the tooling, but I am satisfied with my decision and notice many many others also bought these imports but just don't like to admit it.

Just looking it's ICANN information over. Registered via GoDaddy in 2020, recently updated on 5 February of 2022, registration expires in 2024. Zero Better Business Bureau ratings. Their contact information states it is out of Austin Texas, but it is online registered from Arizona. States a toll-free phone number of (888) 988-8820. Reverse number lookup cannot resolve the phone number.

Google Maps could not find any reasonable variation of "exact tool" in Austin Texas. Their address of 2028 E Ben White Blvd, is for an office building, which does have a "mailbox solutions" in it. In other words, no place for a shipping and receiving of large crates.

Could it be legitimate? Possibly, if you are simply drop-shipping Chinese good, you don't need a warehouse. I would phone their number, and ask for a detailed photo of some obscure part of the lathe. For example, the placement of the change gears, and picture of the change gears. Tell them you had heard the gears are plastic.

Ultimately, the best choice would be to reach out to one of the Machinists from the forums, who lives in or near Austin Texas. As him to check out the "business".

Last edited:
Thanks guys I think I am going to steer clear. Thanks for the really detailed lookup adder

Thanks guys I think I am going to steer clear. Thanks for the really detailed lookup adder
No problem, we are all here to help each other. I was actually hoping there was someone who had done business with them, and was pleased.
I looked at all their lathe offerings, and that specific lathe seemed to have the most "bang for the buck"; I can see why you were drawn to it.

I'd guess someone is trying to set up a business reselling/drop shipping. They do state "no returns to this address". I certainly wouldn't buy anything expensive from them. Anyone buying a $1k and up machine would at least want better pictures.

Back