Lathe Material

jdsantiagojr

Registered
Registered
I just finished installing tapered bearings in my mini lathe and would like to replace the plastic spacer on the tail head stock with a steel one. I was considering buying an assortment of 12L14 steel rod. Would this material be okay to use for spacer or should I purchase something else? Not familiar with materials yet and most of the books I have been reading recommend EN1A which I could only find from UK vendor.

Any information would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I just finished installing tapered bearings in my mini lathe and would like to replace the plastic spacer on the tail stock with a steel one. I was considering buying an assortment of 12L14 steel rod. Would this material be okay to use for spacer or should I purchase something else? Not familiar with materials yet and most of the books I have been reading recommend EN1A which I could only find from UK vendor.

Any information would be appreciated.

The link below says that EN1A is similar to 1113 or 1213:

What is a spacer in a tailstock? Is one shown in this photo?

05992AD0-7BA2-4F6F-B4D3-753F32C1EB1B.png

Last edited:
The link below says that EN1A is similar to 1113 or 1213:

What is a spacer in a tailstock? Is one shown in this photo?

View attachment 349983

Wow sorry about that. I meant to say head stock. Not sure why I had tail stock in my head. It is the black plastic spacer in head stock.

My go to materials are the following:

12L14: General purpose steel, soft, added lead for machinability
1214: When lead in 12L14 is not acceptable
41L40: Higher strength alloy steel, harder than 12L14, added lead for machinability
4140: When lead in 41L40 is not acceptable
440C: Stainless, moderately machinable
316: Stainless, very tough to machine, very durable and pretty looking
6061 T6: General purpose aluminum
7075: Higher strength aluminum, harder than 6061

For your spacer, 12L14 would likely be perfect since the original is plastic. A higher wear item like a nut might benefit from being made from 4140.

Last edited:
As is quite common on this forum, you're over-thinking this. If the original part was plastic, steel will make a superior replacement, ANY grade of steel. This is where you use that piece of stock that you can't identify.

Since you're replacing a plastic part with steel, just about anything would be fine as a spacer.
12L14 is very easy to machine and gives a good surface finish. The only downside to it is that it
tends to rust easily, so if you use it make sure you have some oil on it to prevent that.

Back