Lathe Milling Attachment questions

Jmanb13

Registered
Registered
I'm working on building a basic milling attachment for my leblond using a angle plate.
I'm going to put the angle plate on and attach my compound slide to do the vertical movement.

2 questions.

1. Are there any options for pre-built vises that would be easily adaptable to fit in the T-slot of the compound slide, or is this a role your own approach?

2. Every lathe picture I've ever seen shows the mounting surface of the compound slide to be flat all the way across, but mine has a relief in the middle of it. Is this normal? or did a past owner modify or have an unfortunate incident? Also, the relief sometimes causes me issues when positioning my CXA QCTP as I have to place it really close to the edge, or flat in the middle to get a solid mounting surface. Any ideas if there was a way to undo the relief?

It looks like either an unfortunate accident, and/or a modification/repair that was never finished. Probably what I would do would be to mill off the
whole top flat and attach new top pieces either by brazing or screws. I've seen some very nice repairs done this way.
Mark S.

Sorry, your compound “T” slot does not look correct. And sorry again, I do not know of a perfect fix. You can attach with screws two strips of metal across the bad area. That would work I guess. I have seen it done before. Not as strong, but if you know it’s been repaired and take it easy it should be OK…Dave

Seems like that might be my first job once I get the milling attachment done. Mill those things down and braze some new ones on and then mill them flat.

Now I just need to figure out a vice. Has anyone mounted a vice in the cross slide and have any options or opinions?
Might just need to buy one of those drill press vices and rig up a mounting system.

Seems like that might be my first job once I get the milling attachment done. Mill those things down and braze some new ones on and then mill them flat.

Now I just need to figure out a vice. Has anyone mounted a vice in the cross slide and have any options or opinions?
Might just need to buy one of those drill press vices and rig up a mounting system.
I would recommend a milling vise not a drill press vise. A proper mill vise will pull the work tight to the vise and hold it without shifting. Drill press vises are not built to handle the forces of milling nor hold work to as high degree of accuracy.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll look into milling vises instead of a drill press vise.

There are some good looking vises on eBay in the three to four inch milling vise. I like the look of the one or two made I India . By looks the quality is better then some of the China ones. And you can get the swivel with it. That would help on a lathe.

There are some good looking vises on eBay in the three to four inch milling vise. I like the look of the one or two made I India . By looks the quality is better then some of the China ones. And you can get the swivel with it. That would help on a lathe.

Do you have an example of one you have seen? I have looked through ebay and I only see "chinese" ones. I'd like to take a look at one your mentioned before grabbing one of many chinese replicas.

I'm looking at the one Tozguy posted as well as one of the precision matthews ones linked below. I know the PM stuff gets pretty good reviews as far as their machines go.
http://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/vise-4-highprec/

Dealer on eBay prolinemax has a nice looking 3" with swivel base , compared to the other China ones . Type in 3"precision mill vise with swivel base.

Back