Lathe moving

This lathe is really heavy, not coming apart.

Started on the floor stops. Used timber loc lags.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
973e9939427f3f64ae2ccf4dd2c05ff3.jpg
c3a1d24ea7002b24a2406811e960fa03.jpg
6a08ecb069ae35b7f3fb7f49c94c1995.jpg

Remember basic triangles...

Make a base across the bottom with sides sloping to top center and add plywood to strengthen.

The lathe will want to flip front or backwards.

The bracing is such that the lathe is supported by the plywood in the triangle.

Imagine a roof truss with a lathe in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have spent a small fortune on straps!

Take a look at your handles - doesn't look to me like they are in the 'locked' position.
Gentle pull on the release handle and push it down - should have a solid 'click'. At least that's how mine are.
Also might want to zip-tie them to the strap for a bit of extra security.

Take a look at your handles - doesn't look to me like they are in the 'locked' position.
Gentle pull on the release handle and push it down - should have a solid 'click'. At least that's how mine are.
Also might want to zip-tie them to the strap for a bit of extra security.
Thanks, I'll check em out first thing tomorrow morning before the truck and crane arrive.

The straps going to the top of the container aren't really doing anything. If the container should tip, you will have too much weight depending on your straps and 6600 pounds is WAY over their yield strength. You should put a couple of 2x6s across and perpendicular to the bed to the walls and securely tie the bed into the 2x6s - try cutting a piece of wood to fit between the ways and BOLT the 2x6s to it.

The straps look to be 3 to 4,000 lbs working load. Short of an accident, I think it will be fine. The biggest issue I see, is the tail stock is relying on its lock to hold it in place for 3000 miles of highway bouncing. I would like to see a rope around it, and the bed as a backup, or remove it completely. After that, the strap marked, that goes over the bandsaw, then the lathe, is not secure. Right now, they are trying to pull the two machines toward each other. Any movement of either machine, will loosen the strap. I would use two straps, one on the lathe, and the other holding the band saw to the wall. Or some wood bracing between the two. The second, at the top of the band saw, is just pulling the band saw, not securing it. As it travels, the strap is pulling the top of the bandsaw towards the wall. every bump, the band saw will rock, loosening and tightening the strap. I would like to see something between the saw and the wall, for the strap to tighten against. Or a second strap pulling towards the other wall. Also, that strap at the bottom looks to be going over a metal edge. Also, are those bandsaw accessories secured? Nothing wrong with taking parts off, wrapping them up, and laying them on the floor.

cdb06fc6071a4d85c76112a427a9e2ec.jpg

Take one last look at every strap, and imagine what will happen if the item being secured moves. if that will cause the strap to loosen, then reroute the strap. Also, every strap should be in its own VEE pattern, never have two making an X. They should all start at the wall, roof, floor, go over the item, and back to that same wall, roof, floor.

Last edited:
Good Luck! Welcome to the Midwest

Back