Lathe myth

HACKMASTER

Active User
Registered
The old saying the lathe is the only machine capable of replication of itself
and then there was CNC

Sure....a lathe can remake itself......it "could"....maybe.... how would you mill the bed? Make the large casting for the change gear cover? I guess technically a lathe could make another lathe, but not always a replica of itself.

Oh, and a mill could make a mill too. You can turn on a mill BTW.

Not a myth, but it has been said that brand new machine tools are manufactured on used machine tools.

got that old lathe statement watching an old southbend training film

I have replicated myself several times, using a baby maker. They may be not exactly like me, maybe they don't work as well as me but highly similar in some ways.

I have replicated myself several times, using a baby maker. They may be not exactly like me, maybe they don't work as well as me but highly similar in some ways.

I wonder if a 3D printer could reproduce itself. Probably not...the software would be difficult !

Regarding 3d printers reproducing themselves, that is the goal of the RepRap project. Most of the parts that are not off the shelf (bolts, buts, washers, etc), can be printed on the machine itself.

If you have not read the Gingery series of books, the lathe book describes, step-by-step, the process of building a lathe, from scrap metal and a few simple hand tools. Through the process, the lathe is literally manufacturing itself through a somewhat iterative process. Very interesting, even if you don't plan on building your own machine tools.

You dont need cnc to build a mill with a mill. You need some cool stuff but cnc aint one.

I always heard "THE MYTH" was, "You can use a lathe to repair itself!" Which sounded logical to me depending on the state of 'disrepair' your lathe was in.:noidea:

I would not say it's a myth. But it sure aint always correct. Unless you have all the tooling required. But the same goes for a mill. A lathe or mill could build it's self with all the cool bits to do so. I honestly think it would be easier to do so on a mill. Most would disagree. But with a rotary table and gear set you could cut the lead screws and a 3 or 4 jaw would be easy to fit. Taps and dies could handle most the rest of the turning. Cutting gears is easy with the roto and indexing plates. Your only real hurtle would be the spindle as most everything else is milling.

Back