Lathe Placement

ELHEAD

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am about ready to remove my 12/36 Craftsman Commercial from the skid it was shipped on in 1968. At least that's the date on the skid, and is the appx. date my bro in law gave for when he got it new. My question, How much clearance should I have between it and the wall when bolted down?
Dave

I am about ready to remove my 12/36 Craftsman Commercial from the skid it was shipped on in 1968. At least that's the date on the skid, and is the appx. date my bro in law gave for when he got it new. My question, How much clearance should I have between it and the wall when bolted down?
Dave

There are more qualified folks here to answer your question, but I have one for you. Has your BIL been using it and kept the original skid or never unbolted it?

:worthless:

If you have the space, keeping it 18" or so away from the back wall allows for getting back there to sweep, service etc. I did that and am very happy so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will depend a bit on how much room you have to play with, but I like to be able to walk comfortably around my lathe. Dont forget to give yourself room at the HS end to pass long materials through the spindle.

Cheers Phil

He used it up until 15 years ago, as I got it with the original skid still bolted on, Sitting on a concrete floor in a CentralFlorida. 

image.jpg

That hammer must be magnetic!

Cheers Phil

made out of magno-wood. Don't see them to often these days ;-)
Peter

Great idea storing the lathe upside down on the ceiling like that to get it out of the way. (Your photo is upside down)

If you have a ton of room that you want to dedicate to the lathe and can position it to get to the back side of the lathe that would be great. Most of us don't have a ton of room, so a lot of us put it up against the wall. I have mine in the corner of my shop against the wall. The tailstock end is in the corner with enough room on the end to slide the tailstock off of the end of the bed. The headstock end is pulled away from the wall about 8" so long rods sticking out of the headstock will clear anything on the wall next to the lathe.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Here is my setup the day I put the lathe and mill in place.

68fddcb8317c2412df26c00a8f84883a_zpsf39cd7d1.jpg

68fddcb8317c2412df26c00a8f84883a_zpsf39cd7d1.jpg

Back