Lathe Reference Book

aoresteen

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Is there a recommended lathe general reference book? I need to get one. I'll be using s 1940's Craftsman 109.0703 lathe.

Thanks!

The Atlas “Manual of Lathe Operations” (aka MOLO) is good as is the Southbend “How to Run a Lathe”. I think the Southbend one is little more common but both can be had pretty easily from places like eBay. I think you’d find both in our Downloads section here if you were a donating member.

Thank you so much. These are going onto my tablet!!!!!!

Get to be real good friends with your computer. There are many books that are on the web for free. Don't let the dates fool you. A 1922 book is just as good as a later one for basics. OK, you don't have to use the foot pedal to make it spin around. I have probably 20 or more books and pdf's that I have stumbled across and downloaded. AGI has a whole set of videos on using lathe and mill if you search hard enough. Also look for military training videos. You would be surprised what the US government has released. Most that I have are Navy.
Anytime anyone here on the forum, or says a name on YouTube, write it down and goggle it.
I would also suggest watching Mr Pete videos from when he started. The early information is right on the type of equipment you have.

Back