Lathe Shopping. Help!

SuedePflow

Registered
Registered
I have minimal lathe experience. A year of vocational training back in high school when I thought I was going to be a career machinst, and I've had a benchtop 7x10 for the past 4 years. And it just died yesterday. I only used it for a few different tasks over the past 4 years and certainly didn't take advantage of everything it could do. And for the most part, it served all of my needs. But now that it'd dead and I need a replacement, I'm ready to upgrade to something bigger and better.

The majority of what I do is turning small aluminum bushings. I often punch holes through aluminum. And I routinely face short pieces of 4130 tubing. That's about it. But I do seem too be doing this stuff at least weekly. I don't do threading and I won't be converting to CNC.

My budget is unofficially $2000. I was originally wanted to stay around $1000, but after shopping around a bit, I feel the need to spend more to get more.

I first landed on the Grizzly G0602. This is an excellent size for what I want. And it fits the budget too. But I do not like the idea of changing belts for speed changes all the time.

So I discovered the Grizzly G9972Z. It's a slightly larger than the G0602 and has a gearbox. And for only a couple hundred more than the G0602. I'm sold on it, but Grizzly is out of stock for at least another 5 weeks and I can't wait that long. I need to buy a lathe ASAP and get it here as soon as possible. Is there something else on the market comparable in quality, features, and price to the G9972Z that you guys could recommend?

I also came across the Grizzly G0752. Basically a variable speed version of the G0602. I'm on the fence on variable speed. If I understand it correctly, slowing down spindle speed also reduces motor output, right? You can't have full power when running at 20% speeds, right? I had some issues with my 7x10 when I ran it slow, it was very easy to stall the spindle on a heavy cut or when drilling. I often had to run it much faster than I wanted to just to prevent stalling, but it tore up tooling. I want to avoid this with my new lathe, and I don't know if I should stay away from 1HP variable speed stuff or not.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hold out for the G9972z. It will be worth the wait. Can your 7x10 be repaired while you wait?
Dave

Hold out for the G9972z. It will be worth the wait. Can your 7x10 be repaired while you wait?
Dave
I wish I could wait. I'm months behind on customer orders as it is. And I don't have another lathe to use or borrow.

I'm not sure if my 7x10 could be repaired. I assume it can be, but my understanding of electronics is not even close to being advanced enough to diagnose the problem. And I'm not sure it would be worth the expense of paying for someone to repair it...

Do no other manufacturers have an offering comparable to the G9972z?

Precision Matthews has an 11x27. Don't know if they are in stock. It's in a whole different class at $2699. Hit your local Harbor Freight and pick up a 7x10 with a 20% off coupon to get by with while you wait for the G9972z. Then sell the 7x10 to recover much off the money you paid.
Dave

grab a new one from Horror Freight to tide you over, then take your time to shop for the right lathe.
The variable speed is fine even at low speed on the 10" lathes, and is very nice to have.
There are other versions of the Grizzly you are looking at, but they all cost more.

I would get on the list for this lathe
http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1030.html

I would take a hard look at the PM1020V and PM1030V. Both have power cross and longitudinal feed and are under $2k.

I would get on the list for this lathe
http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1030.html
What do you mean by "get on the list"? Backordered and not currently available?

I can't help but to notice the PM1022 is strikingly similar to the Baileigh PL-1022VS. Same machine? The Baileigh is available to ship today for $1800...

http://www.baileigh.com/bench-lathe-pl-1022vs

Is my understanding of power transfer with variable speed correct or no? Do you get full motor torque at any speed or is it directly proportional to the speed? I just don't want to run into the same stalling issues like I did with my 7x10.

Power delivery differs depending on whether it is a DC or AC motor (and type) and the type of drive (I believe the 1022 model is a BLDC). DC motors having high starting torque, AC motor with a VFD usually have flat torque from low speed (15-20Hz) up to its base speed at 60Hz. Three phase AC motors typically will give a better finish (more even power delivery) then single phase AC motors The variable speed lathes have 2 or 3 speed ranges. Very unlikely you will stall one of these lathes. The information/specifications on the 1022 model is pretty lacking, but this (and other) review is worth reading and similar to other reviews independent of the brand YMMV. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/new-precision-matthews-1022v-lathe.22615/ .

If your facing material, a power cross feed is really nice. It is a real quandary of getting a lathe of decent quality at this price point. Buying from Baileigh would be pretty low on my choice of vendors reading other reviewers experience with their machines. Machines may look similar, but how they are speced, what they come with and post purchase support are major factors. Saving a few dollars upfront may not be worth it in the long run. There models that are not listed on the Precision Mathews/QMT site, so may be worth giving them a call, alternatively something like the Grizzly G0752. Something in the 11x27, 12x28 or 11x30 gives you a wider work scope and a step up in performance/features.

Last edited:
I seem to remember seeing a guy advertising on Ebay who repaired/replaced the 7x series control boards for a pretty reasonable price. If you can find him this could get you back up and running while you search for a replacement lathe.

Back