Lathe Spindle Crank

Hawkeye

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
When I'm threading a short section to a shoulder, I like to turn the spindle by hand. It's easier to use a handle at the outboard end, rather than use a chuck key or wrench to turn the chuck. I have one I made for the 9" Hercus lathe, so a big one of the same design makes sense for the Storebro lathe.

The handle locks into the spindle in the same way that bicycle handlebars join the fork tube. A long wedge of tubing jams against the main tube and the sides of the spindle.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7407.jpg
attachment.php?thumbnail=7408.jpg

To use, insert the tube into the end of the spindle and tighten the nut. If collets are being used with a drawbar, it can be inserted through the centre of the crank.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7409.jpg

I made the handle 14" long because that is the maximum diameter I can turn over the toes of the carriage. I have to admit, it's quite a step up to have a chuck that's 10 5/8" in diameter.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7410.jpg

attachment.php?thumbnail=7407.jpg

attachment.php?thumbnail=7408.jpg

attachment.php?thumbnail=7409.jpg

attachment.php?thumbnail=7410.jpg

I like the looks of that, nice and simple. One of those is now on my "to-do" list!

Great project. I also like the oilers on your lathe very cool.

Jeff

Thanks for posting that Bill. I've been needing something just like that for a couple of upcoming projects.

-Ron

Thanks for posting that Bill. I've been needing something just like that for a couple of upcoming projects.

-Ron

Man, it's been one of those days. Thanks to MIKE for posting that... :eek::eek::eek: Must have been breathing in too much WD-40 fumes by the mill today.

-Ron

Back