Lathe stand - scrap metal or valuable to someone?

rficalora

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I have made (well, am in the process of making) a new stand for my lathe so I can have storage under it. Before I cut up the old stand to re-use the metal, do folks seek out old stands? I don't want to cut it up if it's something folks might need for a refurbishing project? This one is in OK shape - although it's missing one of the doors.IMG_20221224_105727919_HDR.jpg

I have made (well, am in the process of making) a new stand for my lathe so I can have storage under it. Before I cut up the old stand to re-use the metal, do folks seek out old stands? I don't want to cut it up if it's something folks might need for a refurbishing project? This one is in OK shape - although it's missing one of the doors.View attachment 444396
I have the same exact lathe with the stock stands. I also "built" a different stand with usable storage underneath.

I separated the stock stand and have repurposed them as stands for my die filer and 2 x 72 belt grinder. They are very heavy and stout so figure it's worth keeping them around even if you don't have an immediate need.

John

I have the same exact lathe with the stock stands. I also "built" a different stand with usable storage underneath.

I separated the stock stand and have repurposed them as stands for my die filer and 2 x 72 belt grinder. They are very heavy and stout so figure it's worth keeping them around even if you don't have an immediate need.

John
Great Idea on using them for belt grinder &/or other stands.

Question since you have the same lathe. Have you run across anyone selling parts or parting these lathes out? The cast iron side cover on mine was damaged somewhere along it's life. I could make a new one with square tube and sheet metal, but I'd like to find a replacement if I can.

Sorry, I don’t know anyone scrapping one. If you still have the stock one can it be repaired?

John

Im sure it could be repaired, but I doubt it'd be cost effective. It's cracked at the top hinge and the bottom hinge is broken completely off (and was missing when I bought it). The top lid is also broken. I can MIG & TIG. I understand ARC welding is best for cast iron but haven't ever done that.

Attachments

• IMG_20230325_091135218.jpg
    IMG_20230325_091135218.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20230325_091148197.jpg
    IMG_20230325_091148197.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20230325_091014111.jpg
    IMG_20230325_091014111.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 21
If you were in my area, I'd be bugging you to take that stand off your hands. I have a '94 variant Tida 12x36, but the stand is really tall, and narrow. I was thinking of lowering it, but on further thought, I'm leaning towards making my own stand instead. If I had your stand, I'd keep it.

Im sure it could be repaired, but I doubt it'd be cost effective. It's cracked at the top hinge and the bottom hinge is broken completely off (and was missing when I bought it). The top lid is also broken. I can MIG & TIG. I understand ARC welding is best for cast iron but haven't ever done that.
That looks very repairable. TIG brazing is a thing folks talk about on here....

I TIG cast iron with a nickle rod.

You use a nickle rod so it doesn't draw carbon from the cast iron into the weld area which makes it brittle. I also pre-heat prior (couple hundred degrees or so) and bury it in play sand afterwards.

You want cast warm when welding and a slow cool down to help prevent hardening (IE:carbon in the weld and surrounding area) in the weld area which can cause it to crack. Rapid cooling after welding can also lead to build up of stress at the weld area and if it doesn't crack while cooling, it can crack when put under the added stress of use (IE: weight, vibration, bending, etc). Welding cast is all about managing the internal material stresses and embrittlement (ie: hardening).

At least, that's how I do it. I'm not a fan of TIG brazing when I can make a proper weld. But braze can certainly work for a lower stressed part...

Last edited:
Thanks for the welding/brazing tips. I'll definitely try fixing it before resorting to replacing it.

Back