Lathe Tailstock Tool Holding

I would go with the 5/8 keyed Jacobs chuck, and not an self tightening chuck, as they cannot be used for tapping. Personally, I seldom remove the center from the tailstock, as I do all my drilling and tapping from the MT Aloris tool holder. Using the tailstock for drilling is not a real good idea, unless the quill has a tang slot for increased driving torque; all you have to do is have a drill hang up and spin in the tailstock to create galling and consequent inaccuracy in locating the center. Besides that, drilling and tapping from the toolpost is faster and easier than by the tailstock; you don't have to back the quill to eject tools, and clamp/unclamp the tailstock for different operations.
Benny, that sounds like a geat way to drill holes on a lathe. I hate it when you are drilling a deep hole and you have to keep moving the tailstock back and forth. One question, how do you go about centering the tool on the cross slide? I'm sure that you use a method that makes setup as easy as using a tailstock.

Benny, that sounds like a geat way to drill holes on a lathe. I hate it when you are drilling a deep hole and you have to keep moving the tailstock back and forth. One question, how do you go about centering the tool on the cross slide? I'm sure that you use a method that makes setup as easy as using a tailstock.
Your question about centering the tools is intimidating to prospective users of the method, I have heard it before! You just put in a center drill and eyeball it near the center of the part with the lathe turning, and advance it until you make a trace cut, then adjust the cross slide and height until it is centered as close as possible, it is really easy to do, and is not nearly rocket science! Where I apprenticed back in the 60s before they had Aloris holders, they had tool blocks that fit the compound right on height and had a tongue that fit the compound slot, so all one had to do is center the tool with the cross feed. They also used MT sockets in a "lighthouse" style boring bar holder to the same effect.

Second the vote on keyed chuck, ball bearing if at all possible.

Yes, indeed, ball bearing chucks are superior, more holding power with less physical effort, fewer bent chuck keys--

Well that good information from all, I was hoping to see different views and tips on each one process. I currently have a very old bench top mill that I bought a er32 setup for, so adding a new er32 chuck with mt3 taper and buying 5/8 drill chuck want be to bad I guess.

benmychree, I also like your process as well and will try it. So I appreciate everybody input!

Back