Lathe tool inserts

Since I actually bothered this time round to pay attention to Eccentric Engineering's website, I noticed that Eccentric Engineering suggest that for little 7x14s like I have, it's best to get the left hand tool and mount it on the front of the toolpost to get the largest possible diameter of turning. So that's what I've ordered.
I have both RH and LH tools from Eccentric Engineering, and I don't understand how a LH tool would be good for the turning I generally do. The picture on their website shows a setup that would be OK for facing, but not for 'normal' turning toward the headstock. I must be missing some obvious detail.
LH holder in 4 way.jpg

I have both RH and LH tools from Eccentric Engineering, and I don't understand how a LH tool would be good for the turning I generally do. The picture on their website shows a setup that would be OK for facing, but not for 'normal' turning toward the headstock. I must be missing some obvious detail.
View attachment 483842
The reason I keep my compound is so I can angle it out to turn larger items.
This is a video of my lathe turning a 9" round stock down... Note the position of the compound....

I can get 'acceptable to me' finishes on mild steel with DCMT inserts that are intended for aluminium with small nose radii
I found out the same thing. I also learned they crack and chip very easily turning anything but aluminum. Darn it.

I hope I'm not pulling the discussion too far off-topic.. I just grabbed a couple of pictures from my 7x lathe with the EE tools.
IMO the problem with those EE tools is the 'compulsory' large tool 'stickout'. Even with extended cross slide travel on my 7x, the tools are limited - more limited than regular tools- in the size of work they can handle.

IMG_1261.JPGIMG_1262.JPG

Here are some plans for the Tangential tool holders that I found on the net....

Attachments

• Tangential Tool Holder.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
I'll have to look into those
I'm not selling mine, but my reaction to the EE tools is 'strictly lukewarm'. But each situation (toy budget, type of projects, lathe size, etc) is different. I was perhaps over-eager to like those EE tools... from reading online recommendations and the very convincing text on the EE website :)

I'm not selling mine, but my reaction to the EE tools is 'strictly lukewarm'. But each situation (toy budget, type of projects, lathe size, etc) is different. I was perhaps over-eager to like those EE tools... from reading online recommendations and the very convincing text on the EE website :)
The diamond brand will run $150 delivered.
I may just add one to my project list??

I hope I'm not pulling the discussion too far off-topic.. I just grabbed a couple of pictures from my 7x lathe with the EE tools.
IMO the problem with those EE tools is the 'compulsory' large tool 'stickout'. Even with extended cross slide travel on my 7x, the tools are limited - more limited than regular tools- in the size of work they can handle.

View attachment 483843View attachment 483844
Eccentric Engineering suggest that 7x lathe users buy the left hand toolholder and mount the toolholder on the front of the toolpost.

Back