[4]

Lathe Value

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Wv109323

Registered
I have a chance or opportunity to purchase a Cincinnati lathe from a widow. The lathe is a 12 1/2 X48" Cinilathe 220V.
. Neither she nor I have a clue as to value. It appears in average condition and has been setting the last 8 years or so. I did not see a steady rest or a 4 jaw chuck. The garage that it is in is in such disarray that it is hard to tell much about the machine. If you were considering buying a "pig in a poke" as this what would you consider a fair value? The machine was last used about 8 years ago. AFAIK the machine is in working order.
I have no idea about the external gearing or accessories. It had a 3 jaw chuck and a tail stock.
There was also a small milling machine and a band saw. I have no idea how to value the equipment. I lean toward a flat price and who knows who comes out on top. How would others handle this situation?
The deceased was my friend and he was a borderline hoarder. It is hard to tell what one would find in cleaning out the garage and what goes with the lathe. Any thoughts are welcome.

Al 1

Registered
Wv, There may be some good stuff there. But if you purchase a bunch of stuff that you have no knowledge about, what is the sense?
If she is not in a hurry to clean out, you can research the items. This will take time. Maybe you can help her sell some items and make a deal on other items for yourself (like a commission). Al.

tq60

Brass
Registered
Be honest in stating you do not know much but would like to buy some/all.

Ask what amount of money to clear out the building and that you would work with her/family to insure family stuff is set aside.

If they need space more than the money they may be downright reasonable and the missing stuff likely found.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Whatever you would feel comfortable paying is usually a good way to approach it. Since it's a friend you will probably end up paying less than market value- try to get an idea of how much wear the machines have/ any broken/missing parts
mark

[6]
[5] [7]