Lathe Wiring Question

682bear

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm working on getting an old Hendey 12x30 gearhead lathe operational... the lathe originally left the factory with a 5hp 220v 2 phase motor.

At some point in its life, the motor was replaced with a 5hp 220v 3 phase motor... all of the other electrical components were removed except for the forward/stop/reverse switch assembly. Apparently, that is as far as the motor installation went... the motor was never wired up, I don't believe.

I'm looking to get it operational... and was wondering which way to go with the motor controls...

Option 1 would be to keep the existing three button switch assembly and use a reversing contactor like this...

Screenshot_20230303-013026_eBay.jpg

Option 2 would be to ditch the existing switch assembly and wire it through a drum switch like this one...

Screenshot_20230303-013139_eBay.jpg

I'm looking for pros and cons on both options... and information on which is better, and why.

Both of the units above are on ebay... all things considered, the cost difference wouldn't be a lot, but the contactor is used, where the switch is new.

Thanks...

-Bear

I would use new contactors and also set it up that the latch drops out with power loss. I would not buy used contactors, you can buy new ones for the same price. I have some unused contactors with a transformer, but they are 24VAC coils if you want to change everything out. I do not like drum switches as they are easy to either forget they are on or knocked on.

Do you have 3-phase power?
Your 5 horse motor probably draws too much current for a drum switch so scratch that
Why not get a big VFD? Sounds like a perfect fit- reversing is built-in already, you can use your existing switches
Much easier wiring job as well
-Mark

I have used a drum switch on my 19" Regal lathe for a good 30 years now with little trouble or worry, but that drum switch you refer to looks like it it is doubtful that it has a contact rating for a 5 HP motor.

The Dayton 2X443 / 2X443A drum switch is rated to run a 5hp motor on 230v 3 phase...

Do you have 3-phase power?
Your 5 horse motor probably draws too much current for a drum switch so scratch that
Why not get a big VFD? Sounds like a perfect fit- reversing is built-in already, you can use your existing switches
Much easier wiring job as well
-Mark

I do have a 3 phase system, powered by an RPC.

I'm not really interested in a VFD... switches are simple, programmable switches... not so much. I'm 'technology challenged'...

-Bear

OK then. The drum switch is the simplest, wiring wise. You wouldn't use the existing switches.

If you are not good with electrical then i would go with the drum switch and 3 phase. so to reverse a 3 phase motor just swap out any 2 of the three wires.

Yes the drum switch does the on/off and reversing functions all with one lever
Much less of a project than wiring up a pair of contactors and possibly a transformer
and putting in all in a tidy box

Back