Lazy beginner question...

imagineer

Registered
Registered
It's only happened a few times so far, but I've found I needed to remove the mill vise to facilitate a larger machining project. It's probably an easy routine task for most of you to re-tram the vise, but for me its a frustrating half-hour. I'm wondering if it would be any benefit to mill portions the edges of the cast vise base to create a flat and true surfaces. These sections of milled edge would be located to somewhat align with the t-slots in the table.

When I know I'll need to remove the vise, I can install a pair of machined round pucks using the table t-slots such that the pucks are tight against the machined edges of the vise. When it's time to reinstall the vise, I just hold it against the two pucks and tighten the vise.

I'm sure it won't be accurate to the thousandth, but to the few hundredth is close enough for me.

Only you will know if it’s a time saver and ‘worth it’ based on your own situations, but maybe look at it this way: the pucks would likely save a few minutes to set up your milling vise just like you had it the last time but if you become proficient at setting your indicators and getting fast at setting the tram it will benefit many operations down the road, not just setting a vise.

The alignment spacers are a common item.

Be sure the slots in your vice are true.

If slots in vice same width as table then real easy, mill a flat bar, then cut a couple.

If not, then you need to make one end fit the vise and other fit the table.

Drill hole that mounting bolt fits and good to go.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I'm surprised Tom didn't get the reason the keys are stepped, they may have to be fit to the machines tee slots, which can vary, so it's easier to have a defined step to adjust than one that's only a couple of thou high or deep.
Also, the keys are great if you don't always need the vice trammed to a sub-thousandth accuracy. With the keys, you can pop the vise in and out and have it aligned close enough for general accuracy work.

I think everyone tries coming up with some solution to aligning the vise when they get started. I also think the real solution is to just get better at it. You'll be frustrated a few more times, then you'll fall into a routine where it takes longer to clean the table and the vise before mounting than it does to dial it in. You can still have "one of those days" every now and then, but mostly it gets way easier.

GsT

Pretty much agree with everyone so far. There are a couple of good YT videos about tramming the vise and it's really not bad once you get the hang of it...especially if you don't need it to be absolutely perfect.

I have two mills and multiple vises. I have one vise on a swivel base and that one I have keys on the base because I normally use it for things where absolute precision doesn't matter. I can drop it on, push forward until I feel the keys seat on the table, lock it down and it's close enough...within a couple of thousandths generally. For pretty much everything else I just break out the indicator and tram it in like the video shows...doesn't take too long at all, but the first handful of times were a pain.

Back