Lead screw support bearing repair.

Seems to be well made. I can’t see the solid aluminum ones breaking as they are supposed to in a crash

Attachments

• IMG_3174.jpeg
    IMG_3174.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Seems to be well made. I can’t see the solid aluminum ones breaking as they are supposed to in a crash
Mine broke last week and it was aluminium. It looks tuff but if you look on the back it's very thin and will save gear damage by snapping off. The 3D printed, which I bought as a back up, is really quite thick and doubt breaking easily as supposed to. I would trust my epoxy repaired one. more than the 3D printed! But that's just me.

20240517_233336.jpg20240519_113254.jpg20240524_111027.jpg

Last edited:
The original ones were probably z-mak, that alloy that a lot of the atlas parts were made from. This is the aluminum one I was referring to. Doubt if this one would break.

Attachments

• IMG_0349.png
    IMG_0349.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
It's great to learn that there is aftermarket support for these old machines! I don't know which material/design is "best", but it's just good that you can fix it easy enough.

The original ones were probably z-mak, that alloy that a lot of the atlas parts were made from. This is the aluminum one I was referring to. Doubt if this one would break.
Yes I think your right. I was referring to my Zmak repair. That aluminium one would probably twist the lead screw into a pretzel and break every gear! LoL

I suppose you could hollow out the back of the aluminum piece to make it weaker. Not sure how the plastic one would react to a crash, it’s actually pretty well done. Hopefully I won’t find out the hard way!

I suppose you could hollow out the back of the aluminum piece to make it weaker. Not sure how the plastic one would react to a crash, it’s actually pretty well done. Hopefully I won’t find out the hard way!
Maybe take a hack saw and cut back side "about" 1/2 way thru. Being plastic, PLA or whatever it "may" not snap off during a failure.

Well, this is one part that I would lave to insist be made like the original. Which I suspect means that it would have to come from Clausing. One has to assume that back when they were first designing the lathes that they properly tested the bracket, trying various thickness's of the attachment part to insure that it failed when it needed to and not when it didn't need to.

Back