Leadscrew Crank

cfellows

Registered
Registered
This is a crank I made for the leadscrew on my 7 x 14. I didn't want to modify the leadscrew, so I mounted the crank on the left side of the leadscrew. I made the crank from 1/4" thick aluminum and attached it to a 42 tooth browning timing pulley.

c9e8582d.jpg

At some point, I will lash up a DC gear motor connected with a removable timing belt so I can also have a variable speed carriage feed. I don't expect, at this point to use the change gears very often, although I can easily remove the crank and revert to the change gears if need be.

In this picture, you can see a steel ring which was heat shrunk on to the hub of the gear. This will be engraved with graduations and numbers for a fine feed measurement.

86783b73.jpg

Chuck

Thanks. I was a little concerned about the left hand operation, but turns out it feels natural and is not at hard to control.

Chuck

SEE !!!!! that's the answer to my quest for using my lead scre to put a better finish on my lathed projects... add another gear and hook it up to a pulley driven with a variable speed motor.

Goll.........ey 1 You guys are the best ! :-*
I should have looked at your thread before I made a fool of myself looking for an answer to my problem. :-[
thanks
Joe

did the moter you mentioned ever get checked out ? it sounded perfect for my quest
joe

Back