Learning how to grind HSS

These are the 2 most common tools used to dress aluminum oxide grinding wheels. When using the wheels to create or touch up lathe tools the job is much easier with a truly flat face and square edge.

I use the first style almost exclusively, mainly because somewhere along the way I picked up a huge supply of replacement disks. Having said that I rarely use the grinder for making or sharpening HSS tools. I use a Rockwell Delta 6 x 48 sander. I use either 60 or 80 grit for initial tool forming and 100 or 120 grit for touch ups.

These are the 2 most common tools used to dress aluminum oxide grinding wheels. When using the wheels to create or touch up lathe tools the job is much easier with a truly flat face and square edge.

I use the first style almost exclusively, mainly because somewhere along the way I picked up a huge supply of replacement disks. Having said that I rarely use the grinder for making or sharpening HSS tools. I use a Rockwell Delta 6 x 48 sander. I use either 60 or 80 grit for initial tool forming and 100 or 120 grit for touch ups.
Thanks projectnut, my spell check really don’t like that name lol.

Back