Learning to work withing the limits of my lathe (and myself)

When I got my new Shop Task 3 in 1 machine (mill, drill and lathe. I abused that thing, not knowing nothing and it was before U Tube and all the helpful forums were around. I bought a lot of cutters and other parts from the flea markets and other folks. Today, some 30 years later I can do almost anything I would like to. I was able to buy a 1988 South Bend 10K with a taper attachment and a Millrite MV vertical mill. I am presently working on a PTO for my old Bolan garden tractor. There is a lot to learn and I can say I have had my share of fun.
Nelson

Welcome to the forum Papa-roe, You'll find a lot of friendly help here. The best way to learn is to do it. Just make sure you are safe in everything you do.

In the od days a white lead compound was used as a lubricant for dead centers, it works well but is very toxic, so you have to be careful, it is also hard to wash off, so it's a problem.

I mostly only ever use a dead center in the headstock so it spins with the part = no problem, and I almost always use a live center in the tailstock. There Is always the exception as in very small dia. and I do have a special center that is made from HSS and I use a heavy duty Moly grease on the rare occasion I need to use this center.

When using any center it is important to regularly check that it's not too tight. The part will heat up as you machine it and therefore it will expand causing the center to become tight. This is vitally important with a live and/or a dead center.

Enjoy.

Once I got comfortable with the lathe, I just used it for projects. I was surprised when things came within 1/2 a thou of what I wanted. But one thing I did find, was that the lathe did make a difference. My lathe is a used DF1224g ,12x24 generic Taiwanese. I tried using my son's bought new QC6125, a Chinese 10x22 , XIMA, better made than the Grizzly ones. I found the bigger one much easier to use and did a better job.

But the time we find this site we have already bought our machine tools, so my advice is a bit late.

Back