Leaving VFD on?

RYAN S

Registered
Registered
I recently got my first VFD wired up and running on my lathe. My VFD is wired directly to the motor of the lathe, and is powered by a cord that plugs into the wall. My question is can I keep my VFD on all the time since there is no power switch.
Thanks!

Many people leave them on, fine as long as the fan is not running all the time. Two things to consider, one is a safety issue if you have kids or anybody else has access to the machine, the second is potential damage from power surges/spikes.

Spikes and surges in the power grid are real. That is why you have surge protection for all of your other electronics like computers, TVs, Audio gear etc. I have had to replace many blown surge protectors over the years. All of my machines have a power disconnect so that they are off the grid when not being used. Plug in tools are always unplugged when not in use. This safer for both the tool and for any other people that may be around.

I used a double pole single throw relay to run my VFD. It's simple to do and allows one good control of the equipment. Alternatively,
you could just unplug it or dump the breaker.

I thought it was better on the capacitors to leave them powered up.

Electrolytic capacitors have a finite lifespan, when under power at maximum operating conditions something like 2000-5000 hours, but can vary quite a bit. VFDs have internal timers which keep track of the component operating life hours. Electrolytic capacitors are also prone to failure when powering them up after many months/years of not being used. If a VFD sitting up the shelf for more than a year, they should slowly be brought up to full operating voltage. Each manufacturer has a specific sequence they recommend, but suffice it to say, VFDs in storage should have voltage applied to them at least annually. Also rapid on/off cycling of a VFD can also cause damage to the precharge circuit which inserts a resistor or PTC into the capacitor charging circuit on power up. My general recommendation is to turn on the power of the VFD equipment when you plan on using it, shut off the power at the end of the day or when you are done using your machines. If you turn off your VFD and decide to turn it back on, wait at least 5 minutes before doing so. Also from a safety issue, I have a power disconnect at each of my machines. If I am working on them, I unplug them from the wall (or turn off the breaker) and wait for the VFD capacitors to fully discharge (about 5 minutes).

Good question, thank you for asking. I have mine set up with a plug, and have been unplugging it when not in use.

I did not know that it is bad to power it up shortly after shutting it down. That hasn't been an issue, but noted for the future. I will also make a point of powering it up once a month for those times I just can't get any shop time.

Back