LED tube bulb connectors

Karl_T

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
The floresent lights on my apple packing line are aging. Time to upgrade. We need to keep the special reflectors as it keep the light out of the packing person's eyes.

packing line lights.jpg

After looking all over milady found an LED light at home depot that I could gut for the LED bulbs and end connectors to install in the above lights. Cost was $50 for one light. https://www.homedepot.com/p/EnviroL...Bx51SnkHqGEc8HG1MfIorj9g7Ife_vz1Zx1rcZNiF_5t8

The four foot LED bulb is a standard item. If I could find this little end connector, I bet the cost would be way less than $300 to upgrade all the lights.Know what this is called and where to buy it?

LED end connector.jpg

Last edited:
Generally referred to as a tombstone. Comes in shunted or nonshunted (pins connected or separate).

I just did this conversion in my shop so here's some info for you to consider. There are 4 bulbs per fixture at $11.00 per. That only leaves you $6.00 to replace the bulb holders. The other detail is that the conversion kit has new bulb holders, including the bulb holder mounting plates [the center one is special]. An eight foot florescent fixture doesn't have the back to back bulb holder center plate. You would have to fab some up. Don't see any savings trying to work around the kit. Hope this helps.

Maybe not following the description, looks like a standard bi-pin florescent tube connection. You can buy replacement LED T-8 bulbs, that are a drop in and do not require rewiring or ballast replacement. I did this in my garage years ago, instant on without any flicker. I prefer a 4000K light source as not being too yellow or too blue. I used the Philips brand, as reliability of some of the generic brands have been reported to be pretty bad. Mine are going on 4 years w/o any failures in about 40 LED replacement's, I didn't want to hassle with rewiring the fixtures, but pretty straight forward to remove the ballast if they are the direct wire type.

The floresent lights on my apple packing line are aging. Time to upgrade. We need to keep the special reflectors as it keep the light out of the packing person's eyes.

View attachment 459850

After looking all over milady found an LED light at home depot that I could gut for the LED bulbs and end connectors to install in the above lights. Cost was $50 for one light. https://www.homedepot.com/p/EnviroL...Bx51SnkHqGEc8HG1MfIorj9g7Ife_vz1Zx1rcZNiF_5t8

The four foot LED bulb is a standard item. If I could find this little end connector, I bet the cost would be way less than $300 to upgrade all the lights.Know what this is called and where to buy it?

View attachment 459851
hell no.
Just by a already made led shop light with reflectors.
Talk to these guys. I replaced all the bulbs in my troffers with leds, the magnetic type that have their own driver.
They will help you find a no-nonsense approach.

I don’t understand. Are you looking for something different than you would get by searching “fluorescent tombstone”?

Yep, I am not good at searching, “fluorescent tombstone” is the right search.

Bi-pin fluorescent socket is another term

Non-shunt means the two end pins are brought out separately instead of tied together
Old-style fixtures with starters used the non-shunt style; they use the filament in the bulb to start
New style fixtures with electronic ballasts don't use the heater in the bulb so the pins are shorted together
I believe the LED retrofits are available for both electronic and magnetic ballasts, as long as they are instant-start

Last edited:
Back