Left Handed Drills?

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So I wanted to drill a 3mm (maybe 1/8", I don't really know) .. pilot hole in some 5mm resin ply, and all I got was smoke!
Huh? I look harder, and good Lord! - it's a LEFT hander. It had been lurking in my (originally) SKF set, but I have no idea from where, nor when I acquired it. I never knew I had a sinister in there!
Set the Makita into "reverse", and we immediately get a sweet little hole. It makes holes - just like the right-handed variety.

It begs the question - other than random chiral contrariness, "because we can", why is a left hand spiral drill bit ever made anyway? I don't think the holes it makes are any different - are they?

[Edit: I accept that the question may contain stereotype assumptions that amounts to discrimination against the "differently handed" - sorry about that. ]

Last edited:
They're great for screw extraction. If you get lucky & the broken screw is not bottomed out in a blind hole or is tight in a hole, the LH bit will grab it & screw it right out.

That's the only times I use LH drill bits. Can't think of any other purpose to use em.

[Edit: I accept that the question may contain stereotype assumptions that amounts to discrimination against the "differently handed" - sorry about that. ]

I tried using a LH drill bit in a handheld drill with my left hand. Well it did not work any better as left handers claim that lefties are better. :D

I tried using a LH drill bit in a handheld drill with my left hand. Well it did not work any better as left handers claim that lefties are better. :D
Funny you should say that! I have been working the power tools like never before, making up and installing door frames and oak doors. Because of the way some hang, I find myself having to deploy the left hand operation, it being easier than some awkward other re-arrangement of the limbs. Not only for hinges. Left handed hammer onto wood chisel too!

There is no question that after a lifetime of right-handed muscle memory operation, left hand is at a disadvantage, but not insurmountable if you pay attention. I don't go left handed just for the hell of it, but I can, to an extent, when I need to.

I am OK when upside down, so long as the bolt has to go upwards. I get in a bit of a knot if I am up top, and the bolt has to tighten up from under, or if I am on the floor looking up, and the nut is up there on top, and the set on the darn socket wrench ratchet needs to go counter-clockwise so it can tighten. :confused 3:

All of our dies have hot air pipes , top and bottom . I have to train newbies on how to install them . You would be amazed but most all have no issues with the bottom pipes , then can't figure out which way to turn the tops . :grin: We sit there and watch and tell them to finger it out . :big grin:

Back