Lehmann Lathe

cajun lathe

Registered
Registered
I got this Lehmann lathe from a fellow that was going to scrap it, he gave it to me, I have just about all of it free and moving fine, the motor works great and when all done will paint it and post the pick as I get each one finished, in the process of adding a 30X80 to the shop so a little busy, it is a 20" swing and 13' between centers and it was made in 1932, sold to T&P Iron work in Suplhur La. got this info. from the Lehmann people still in business since and parts are still around, I don't live that for from Sulphur so going to ask around of people who might know someone who worked that might get some good info. and even some old pic's, happy hunting, Cajun Lathe.LatheonTrailer.jpgHeadstock.jpg/IMG]

Ya asking around is a good way to start. My kind of lathe I already see marine shafting in there.
Lets see the paint--good luck.

Great Find! If that's rust on the bed. I have had good luck with lots of elbow grease, brake fluid, sand paper and steel wool works good cleaning it off. There is a new product that works good, Evapo-rust sold at auto stores. I believe it's only good if you lay parts into it and let it work, so it's not good for Big lathe beds...

Thanks fellows, since the picture I have done some cleaning on it, the fellow at Lehman said it was some of the finest casing they had ever done in those years past and it is, must have been done with silica flower and the iron does polish up real nice, its a big project with all the other projects but I will get it done, you all take care, Cajun Lathe

I completely rebuilt one exactly like that one back in 1975. Mine was born in Sept, 1929. Serial no 1249. it was a 18" x 11 foot bed length. It was a total basket case when I got it.

At the time Lehmann was located in Houston for a short time before it moved to Calf. in 1977. Just happen my dad worked for the company that bought the drawings, patterns, and left over stock of parts. I used to go up to the shop and help out pulling drawings and making copies for purchase orders to get parts made for resale to people that had these lathes all over the world. I actually "touched" original drawings, some going back to 1910's, some were inked on blue linen mylar film. I remember seeing the massive wooden patterns for the headstocks they used to cast back in St. Louis, Missouri in its day. I was able to get copies of almost every part drawing to the lathe I had. Most of them drawing copies were lost over the years.

The lathe I rebuilt was later sold to a family friend's brother and moved to central Louisiana. Never know, it maybe close to you!

I'll be glad to offer any help and questions you may have about your Lehmann Gear head lathe. In fact, just about any other Lehmann lathe that is out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
4gsr, WOW, someone that know something of the company this is a great find in it self, yes I would like to ask some questions as I go along, I have copied and pasted what you said in a folder that I have for Lehman, I love the paper trace and history of things I get, this machine was sold when it was in the Houston distributer to the T&P Iron works in sulphur La. did find out where it was now trying to find out if some of the fellows are still around, I was trying to get operators manual or even parts break down or just anything on the lathe, I did speak to a fellow In Chino Cal. said he would send some info. but has not I will try him again, that is a high quality lathe and some of the smoothest casing that I have ever seen, only have to try and duplicate on handle and replace the four jaw chuck is what I see now, thanks for the offer and hope I have more question, that would be cool to run across that lathe in Louisiana, thanks again, Cajun Lathe

If Lehmann in Calf. ever comes across with a manual, don't be disappointed. It only consists of a parts list and a folded up assembly drawing, and if your lucky, a copy of the serial number sheet and that's it! I had all of that years ago, dad did something with it before he died, and never seen again.

I hope yours runs much smoother than mine did when I go it running.

I have a newer 4-page brochure of the Lehmann gear head lathe. If you are interested send me your email address in a personal message and I'll be glad to scan it and send to you.

Thanks that would be nice, I will look here where to PM and send it to you, thanks so much, Cajun Lathe in case anyone is keeping up with old lathe my serial number is 1214 built in 1933, 20 inch swing with a 13' between centers

I think the guys at Lehmann told you wrong.

My was S/N 1249 born on Sept. 29, 1929. S/N 1214 was before mine. Not to say yours sat around for 4 years before it was completed and sold????

Anyways send me your email address by PM and I'll send a copy of what I have to you.

Ken

Ken, sent a PM, what is a guess on the birthday of mine, thanks for you information I really appreciate what you have done, Cajun Lathe

Back