We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:
Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time.
It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop.
In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.
I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too.
I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation.
I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will.
Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with.
I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons.
Other than that, I will not be around.
I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
If I understand this correctly, there are control wires between the control box and the VFD, and there are power wires from the service to the VFD and VFD to the motor.
The 18/7 wire is just for the controls. I have some 10/3 for the service power connectionsand I am reusing the original power cord to the VFD
Next to the lid screws are there are screw holes that will take #10 screws I think. When I removed my speed control hardware, I had that big flat surface to mount to. Your mileage may vary An angle bracket mounted in a convenient location would work well. I like my switch on the left side of the head, near the location of the original switch, but center of the head works OK.
Believe it or not I just discovered there isn't a plug on the mill.
So I took some pics of the existing electrical wiring in the hopes that I can find out if there is anything out of the ordinary and some help converting it for the VFD. The first pic is the mill switch cover and the second is where I labeled the wires. The previous owner disconnected the mill at the switch box.
I found the problem... I had the 4,5,6 connected to ground. I fixed that and I am getting the correct display reading. I was also able to power up for a just a second from the VFD panel. The remote control box was not working so I am assuming there is some programming I need to do.
Oh when it was running it was running in reverse.
edit:... The motor was making a slight scraping sound. You can hear it as the motor begins to spin up.