Lets See Your Shop!

Michael, Thanks, No I don't do it for a living yet, I'm a 911 dispatcher working on retirement, I'm 48 and have 6 years before retirement from the Sheriff's office. Hoping to have my shop completely done by then but it's a slow, I've a lot to do to get ready for making my own Damascus, and I've got Lapidary equipment too that I haven't got set up for or a place cleaned out for it. But God is good, Lord willing it will happen. Hoping my grand children will be interested in doing some of it.

Steve, Thanks for advice I'll try to get onto the yahoo thing for Logan's, I blew it off with an air hose, the started cleaning it with kerosene, It's cleaning up pretty good, the ways are scuffed up a little but I think it's going to be ok. I was blessed with a big shop, my old one was 20'x20' and was getting really crowded. This new one built in 1959 is my back fence. The Plumber that built the shop in 59, built the house in 64, we bought the house 23 yrs ago and wanted the building but the owner wouldn't sell it, finally 3-4 yrs ago he let us buy it. It's 32'x90'. My knife room is 16'x35' & my engraving room is 15'x32' and I've got plenty of room elsewhere in the shop for the Damascus making & the Lapidary work. There's also an upstairs apartment that needs renovating and an upstairs loft that is above my engraving room that is the same size as the engraving room. My House and the Building are the only things on the block, it's a small block. The building has three ramps and drive through doors and I put a walk through door going into it from my back yard. It really is a sweet set up. God is Good. Anyway, I've yanked on your ear long enough, thanks for the kind comments and advice on finding out more details about the Logan.
'

Well now I understand, if I was stuck in a chair as a 911 dispatcher Id have a overflowing shop too. I know what its like with a office job, I had one part time once and all I wanted to do was go build stuff.

My uncle Fred makes knives, he likes to use deer antlers for the handles. He uses old saw blades for the steel. He only makes a few every once in a while.

I was a welder in the oil field for 14 yrs, and I truly loved it, creating things & fix'in things, It's my passion but sometimes the Lord has different plans for us so then because of bad back injuries, & several surgeries later, they tried to make me take social security disability, I had to go to a hearing where the Social Security judge kept trying to push me into taking it, I told him I've been paying my way since before high school & I was going to let someone else pay my way until I couldn't work anymore, isn't that what social security is about anyway, & he said well you can't work anymore, & I told him, No, I can't bend & stoop & lift & twist anymore, so the welding wouldn't work but I'd figure out something, he went on to tell me that I didn't have any college and so forth, and I said well I may not be very educated but I'm not stupid, lazy, or unable to be taught new things, so I learned how to type and here I am, I've been doing it for 15 yrs now and If I can hang in there for another 6 I can retire and then I'll be able to make knives and engrave to supplement my retirement and hopefully, Lord willing, not have a problem paying our bills and have a blast all at the same time. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I was a welder in the oil field for 14 yrs, and I truly loved it, creating things & fix'in things, It's my passion but sometimes the Lord has different plans for us so then because of bad back injuries, & several surgeries later, they tried to make me take social security disability, I had to go to a hearing where the Social Security judge kept trying to push me into taking it, I told him I've been paying my way since before high school & I was going to let someone else pay my way until I couldn't work anymore, isn't that what social security is about anyway, & he said well you can't work anymore, & I told him, No, I can't bend & stoop & lift & twist anymore, so the welding wouldn't work but I'd figure out something, he went on to tell me that I didn't have any college and so forth, and I said well I may not be very educated but I'm not stupid, lazy, or unable to be taught new things, so I learned how to type and here I am, I've been doing it for 15 yrs now and If I can hang in there for another 6 I can retire and then I'll be able to make knives and engrave to supplement my retirement and hopefully, Lord willing, not have a problem paying our bills and have a blast all at the same time. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

It will work out in the end, Im kinda in a similar situation. I loved workng on machines, building stuff, and being outside. Thats all I did all day every day. Worked on farms, farmed a little myself. Worked on lots of farm equipment. I literaly beat myself to death. I was 21 and fell 16ft and broke my collar bone. While at the hospital they could see a lot of old injuries on the x-ray. Things I never went to the hospital for. My back was bad from years of to much gitin r done. That was a warning to me. Now Im back in school taking medical classes. I originaly went to welding school and loved it but ended up with some vision problems so I decided welding 8 hours a day wasnt worth going blind over.

x-ray_zps957e450a.jpg

x-ray_zps957e450a.jpg

Michael, Thanks, No I don't do it for a living yet, I'm a 911 dispatcher working on retirement, I'm 48 and have 6 years before retirement from the Sheriff's office. Hoping to have my shop completely done by then but it's a slow, I've a lot to do to get ready for making my own Damascus, and I've got Lapidary equipment too that I haven't got set up for or a place cleaned out for it. But God is good, Lord willing it will happen. Hoping my grand children will be interested in doing some of it.

Steve, Thanks for advice I'll try to get onto the yahoo thing for Logan's, I blew it off with an air hose, the started cleaning it with kerosene, It's cleaning up pretty good, the ways are scuffed up a little but I think it's going to be ok. I was blessed with a big shop, my old one was 20'x20' and was getting really crowded. This new one built in 1959 is my back fence. The Plumber that built the shop in 59, built the house in 64, we bought the house 23 yrs ago and wanted the building but the owner wouldn't sell it, finally 3-4 yrs ago he let us buy it. It's 32'x90'. My knife room is 16'x35' & my engraving room is 15'x32' and I've got plenty of room elsewhere in the shop for the Damascus making & the Lapidary work. There's also an upstairs apartment that needs renovating and an upstairs loft that is above my engraving room that is the same size as the engraving room. My House and the Building are the only things on the block, it's a small block. The building has three ramps and drive through doors and I put a walk through door going into it from my back yard. It really is a sweet set up. God is Good. Anyway, I've yanked on your ear long enough, thanks for the kind comments and advice on finding out more details about the Logan.
'

Dwayne, there are at least three Logan Lathe yahoo groups. This is the main one hosted by Scott Logan.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lathe-list/join

There is also a logan lathe group which I noticed you had signed up for that is not associated with Scott and there is, I believe a NJ Logan Lathe group, although I only hang out on the first two. They are awesome lathes, I had a 9B28-61 for many years and ordered parts from Scott on occassion. Make sure you get the manual from him, he offers a good value, when you consider that the "aftermarket versions" cost more and you get less info.

Walter

I bought this house this summer, it was a bank repo. I guess one of the previous owner had a cabinate shop in there. I hope to have my own little work shop in here with heat. Its all insulated and drywalled. I have a hanging natural gas furnace for it.

Even has a bathroom inside.

DSCI1192.jpg

DSCI1193.jpg

DSCI1192.jpg

DSCI1193.jpg

You're right it'll all work out in the end.

Thanks Walter, I'll see if I can talk to Scott, I'd love to get this one back in good shape.

Back