Lets Talk Chainsaws

I have 5 chainsaws (well, 6 with 5 currently running). In ascending order, Stihl 009L 12 in., Homelite electric 12 in., Poulan Pro electric 18 in., Redmax G5300 20 in. and Stihl 044 Magnum 25 in.

I heat exclusively with wood and have for the last 12 years, burning 4-5 cords per year. My go-to is the Redmax (which is a Husqvarna E353 in a red case). I bought it new and it's been a great saw. I had some problems with warm restarts, but finally figured the trick and now I have no problems starting it. I bought the Stihl 009L for limbing trees after felling, but quickly learned that it required too much bending. The Homelite electric lives with my Homelite 5-ton electric splitter for those stringy splits that just won't separate. (LOVE that splitter!) The Stihl 044, which I bought used, is hard to start (requires a shot of fuel into the carb, no ether) and heavy. Restarts fine once warm. It only comes out for stuff over 30 inches, which is rare anymore.

Stihls are great saws, almost all the pros use them and the price reflects that. Husqvarna and Redmax (same company) are next in line (think Nissan as opposed to Honda and Toyota). A great choice for personal use. Echos have a good reputation but are hard to work on. All others are for light, occasional use or for those who like to tinker.

Look for a pro grade saw (metal, clamshell crankcase). Do not put on a bar that is longer than the saw is rated for, it will not get enough oil.
Drain the fuel and run the saw dry before storage. Old fuel and carburetor gumming are the cause of most starting problems. Straight gas is the cause of most engine failures. Be sure to use the recommended grade of 2-cycle oil, not the cheap stuff. It's not all the same.

I had forgotten about the electric saws. In addition to the Husky 455 I also have a few of the electric variety. They come out for cutting up downed branches and brush. The husky is just too heavy and unwieldy for anything smaller than a foot in diameter.

In years past a friend and I would cut 10 to 12 cords per year. We didn't do all the heating with it, but over the course of a winter we would each burn 4 to 5 cords between the fireplaces at our houses, at the family cottages, and campfires. These days we rarely go through a cord per winter. Splitting it got tiresome so being inherently lazy I made this log splitter. It runs off the hydraulics on the loader and has a 25 ton ram. It can be used both in the horizontal and vertical positions.
DCP00855.JPGDCP00857.JPG

Stihl makes great saws, but if you don't run clear fuel in them you are begging for trouble. Living in logging country our local Stihl dealer has rows of huge saws waiting to be fixed. When asked what was up, the repair guys said 90% was related to crappy fuel with alcohol in it. Since I started running Clear 92 octane with Soltron additive I have had zero problems including the machines that sit with fuel in them for months without use.

My feeling if you insist on running junk fuel, get a junk chain saw so you aren't too bummed when it craps out. When further asked about fuel my repair guy said if you can't get clear fuel use premium with good additive for longevity and don't let it sit for months, he also said keep machine filled up when stored so lines don't dry out and crack from the alcohol evaporating when tank is partially filled.

My old Homelites from 1960s and 70s would run on anything resembling gasoline but none of em would cut like a Stihl.

When further asked about fuel my repair guy said if you can't get clear fuel use premium with good additive for longevity and don't let it sit for months.

Mine said the same, use premium and don't keep it more than 30 days. High quality 2-cycle oil (like Stens) has fuel stabilizer in it. I buy my premium $5 at a time and date the container. Mix my fuel 1.5 liters at a time. Old fuel goes in the GMC, it doesn't care.

Non ethanol gas was hard to come by for several years in some parts of the country. For years we had to deal with only the ethanol variety in our area. The stuff was clogging carburetors and rotting fuel lines in no time at all. Every year I was changing fuel lines on saws, trimmers, blowers and just about anything else that was gas powered. About 2012 non ethanol premium became available for "recreational" use. It was expensive, but far less expensive than changing gas lines every few months. More recently non ethanol regular has become available.

With the non ethanol varieties all my equipment starts and runs better, and I don't have to replace fuel lines on a regular basis.

Non ethanol gas was hard to come by for several years in some parts of the country. For years we had to deal with only the ethanol variety in our area. The stuff was clogging carburetors and rotting fuel lines in no time at all. Every year I was changing fuel lines on saws, trimmers, blowers and just about anything else that was gas powered. About 2012 non ethanol premium became available for "recreational" use. It was expensive, but far less expensive than changing gas lines every few months. More recently non ethanol regular has become available.

With the non ethanol varieties all my equipment starts and runs better, and I don't have to replace fuel lines on a regular basis.

It's interesting, since 2010, all of the pump gas in California is E10. In addition to the chainsaws, I have 2 generators (Honda & Subaru motors) and 5 vehicles ranging in age from 30 years (3 Honda Civics) to 55 years (VW Doublecab). I have not experienced fuel related problems with any of them.

So I guess nobody has any opinions on chainsaws? :)

Yes, the problem is the saws sit a lot. Then when you need one it becomes a major project. I think that is the biggest reason I am going electric.
Robert

I have always preferred electric if available & practical. My $300 Homelite 5-ton electric splitter is my pride and joy. It sits covered outside on its stand all winter. When I need it I just have to step on the pedal. No fumes, no fuel, no f***ing around.

All of my neighbors have gas powered splitters, at least 20 ton. They laugh at mine until they see it at work.

Back