Letting other people use your equipment

dmittz

Registered
Registered
Hi Friends,

So I had a bit of a concerning afternoon in the shop and one that has given me pause to think.

I have a milling machine, lathe welder, drill press, grinder, sand blasting cabinet etc... in my shop. All of these tools can be dangerious but I haven't really ever had an injury or accident with them myself. Usually, if I get hurt in the shop its from having a wrench slip and hit my hand on something, or that sort of thing, that happens to everyone.

I've always treated the machines with a lot of respect/caution.

Having said that, i've also always had a sort of open door policy, where if a friend wants to comeby and use some of my tools/machines for something their welcome.

For those who are novices I usually supervise closely. For those people that I know have spent pleanty of time in workshops I generally help if asked buy once I show them how to use a machine I don't want to 'hover' so I generally carry on with one of my own projects while they work, and am just avaliable if needed.

So my uncle came over today to use my wells-index 745 knee mill. He was quite excited to use it to do some basic milling on some parts for his motorcyle, just making a few basic slots nothing hard.

So I showed him how to use the machine and setup all the endmill holders etc... he would need and watched while he milled the first piece. I did notice he was sweeping metal chips away from the moving cutter with his finger. I told him I didn't want him to lose a finger and to shut the machine down then use a little paint brush if he had to clear chips away. I also saw him not shut the machine down when removing the first piece of work. Again I told him shut it off before you get your hand near the cutter or you might lose a finger!

Anyway I figured he had heard me, and was no stranger to power tools so it would be fine. I stepped into the back room to get something for a min and as I was walking back in, I saw pieces of my uncle's work glove being thrown around the room and his hand being pulled in. (No idea what he was doing before that), I also instantly percieved that he was not hitting the EMERGENCY STOP! I ran across the room and hit the emergency stop as he was pulling his hand out.

His whole hand got cut up especially his one finger, but no broken bones, no severed limbs, no super deep cuts. He had to go to the ER and get some stitched but he will make a full recovery. Thankfully!

This has really given me pause...i'm really reconsidering letting people use my equipment for safety reasons, perhaps I should have observed my uncle more closely and not assumed he would act safely, I just hate to be the guy that hangs over your should telling you how to work...but maybe I should do that, or maybe I should have just let him watch while I did the milling for him.

What's your policy on people using your equipment?

I don't really have a comment. My son is a professional school trained machinist and I'm the hack. I only have to worry about myself.
Maybe you need to lay down some strict safety rules and puy up signage like no loose clothing, remove all jewelry, always remove the key from any chuck that revolves, turn spindle off before reaching in for any reason.
I hope that your uncle makes a full recovery. It could have been so much worse.

Sorry to read about your troubles.

Your Uncle should not have been anywhere near a spinning cutter with gloves on. Basic safety stuff.

Hopefully, that lesson will stick.

What's the next got'ya going to be?

If this were a workplace, your uncle would be pulled out of those jobs. Being told twice to shut down machines and keep fingers away from moving cutters? Still did it?

You could have spent a day with him. Do you think this could have still happened?

You must have a policy, but you need to be the judge on how to treat each individual. Each person will look at the policy in their own way.

For me, I’m supervising or demonstrating with my boys the whole time. First time use of a tool, I explain to them how the tool operates, how it cuts, and how it behaves. Then I demonstrate using it. Then I ask them if they have questions. Then I let them try. Then I ask them to explain everything back to me. All along I’m making corrections if needed - only for safety or quality of work - not for nit picky stuff.

For some this is worth the effort, for others, it is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't allow anyone to use my machine tools unless I'm already paying for their healthcare insurance. I don't even think I'd allow a professional machinist to use my stuff on my property. But that's more for the machines protection.
To the first point though. Even if a friend or family member didn't want to sue you when they get hurt, there's nothing to stop their insurance company from doing it. No thanks.

the only person I have to worry about is my older brother. I'm 13 and he will be 15 soon. put a hex wrench in a drill and spun it into my shirt until the drill stalled. it had a big battery on it too. I have a big scar from it a year later. it was all bleeding and stung very badly. he still thinks that it was funny. also, my dad ¨cleaning¨ one of my machines. he hit the ways of my lathe that I bought, with a wire wheel in a die grinder! both have no interest in metal but my dad likes to do more work with wood.

Back