Leveling A Mill: Why?

Chris H

Registered
Registered
Aside from facilitating the use of a bubble type level to check a part, is there any other reason to precisely level a mill? I don't mean that the mill is 'wobbly' or vibrates, but just one that is 2-3 degrees off of a true level plane. In all other respects it is solid, so vibration and rocking aren't an issue, and parts aren't sliding off the table.

My mill is intentionally high from front to back to help coolant flow to the drains. As long as your mill is on solid footing and produces acceptably accurate parts I see no reason for it to be absolutely level. Except for the reason you gave about using a level to check a part.

Tom S

As long as the mill is properly trammed and sitting solid its not a problem. Mine is a bit off too. When I set a desired angle on my tilting table, I try to use a digital protractor with the quill for my reference point (best method). If I use a bubble, I use the table for my reference point. This bubble method was good enough to cut a my "diamonds are forever" project accurately.

I only leveled mine (close not perfect) to keep the bulk of the coolant run off away from the floor.

"Billy G"

yup, fluid flow is the only reason.......my concrete floor currently slants enough that any fluid pools at the end of the table opposite the drain. That is, the level of the floor is out enough to negate the intentional slope in the bottom of the t-slots.

However, since I do not run a pump and only apply small amounts of fluids by hand, I have never cared.

-brino

I only leveled mine so I can align keyways in long shafts. As stated above, other than that it doesn't need to be perfectly level.

Mill1.jpg

mill2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, but I don't have the mill yet! Just reading up on stuff, and some folks don't mention it, others are debating the right machinist's level to use to do it. The information on this site is invaluable to someone still figuring out which direction to go to start out! The replies in this thread save time, money, and worry from being spent on low return items.

As jim says , it's handy for parts that are dificult to mesure in other ways.

I got a staret 98 level quite cheep on ebay (like£20) for the amount I use it thats a totaly reasonable price i think.

My lathe is (fairly) level but my mill isn't as it's on a bench. (It looks level though)

Stuart

My new lathe was perfectly level when I set it up!

Then I moved it to where it would be more useful... The edge of the bubble touches the line on the tailstock side. If it was an RV, the fridge will be OK.

Back