Lewis Vise

sk1nner

Active User
Registered
I've been MIA for a while, but I'm back. I got my Lewis shaper in January. I got the vise with it but I didn't get the swivel base. I know these are as rare as hens teeth so finding one for sale is unlikely, or will be too costly. Does any one on here have a original Lewis shaper vise with the swivel base that they can get me some dimensions from? If I can get good enough dimensions I want to try making one. It wouldn't be cast iron, but I would like to make the shaper at least look original. As always thank you in advance for any and all help.

I've got one. At least, I assume it's a Lewis. I'll try to get some pics and dimensions tomorrow.

I've been MIA for a while, but I'm back. I got my Lewis shaper in January. I got the vise with it but I didn't get the swivel base. I know these are as rare as hens teeth so finding one for sale is unlikely, or will be too costly. Does any one on here have a original Lewis shaper vise with the swivel base that they can get me some dimensions from? If I can get good enough dimensions I want to try making one. It wouldn't be cast iron, but I would like to make the shaper at least look original. As always thank you in advance for any and all help.

What a coincidence... I have also been "MIA" for a while ....and also, by coincidence, I have a Lewis vice! I haven't figured out how to post pics here yet. It would be pretty simple to fabricate one by either hogging out (of a big chunk of stell), welding or brazing a few pieces of steel plate, or casting from aluminum. I would be happy to take some measurements and take some photos if I could figure out how to post them here.

Mario

Many thanks. I plan on fabing one from steel if I can get dimensions. I really appreciate it thank you.

to post pictures you just get the picture on your computer or phone, whatever you are looking at the forum with, and next to the post reply button press upload a file, then just find the picture file, super duper easy.......then press post reply after you've written what you want
also it allows you to post the picture as a thumb or full size, your choice.

Here are some pictures of my vise, particularly the bottom section.

PB211722a.jpg PB211723a.jpg PB211725a.jpg

The whole bottom section is about 1" thick. The round section is 13/32" above the base, and, obviously, the same diameter as the mating portion of the vise.

The base is 5 3/16" x 6 3/4". The slots are about 5/8" deep and at 3" O.C. to match up with the slots in the table. The bosses around the slots bring the base height up to just under 3/4".

I would expect the hidden details to be much the same as in a Kurt clone vise - circular T-slot with a hole up through the bottom to pass the bolts through. I imagine there is a heavy pin at the centre to pivot the whole thing around. With all the work I have to do to get my shop back up and running, I don't really feel like taking it apart right now.

I hope this helps you make up the missing parts.

Thank you for taking the pics. Unfortunately I don't believe that is an original Lewis vise. At least not from an early kit . The early ones had a base like this. Yours actually seems to be more sturdy than the ones used in the early shapers. My Lewis doesn't even have provisions for T-slots. Once again I really do appreciate your help
lewisvisemockupbottom_400x72.jpg lewisviseside_400x72.jpg

Cast iron would be nice, it will all be dependent on cost. I have a 2.5 year old and a 10 month old. Wife is a SAHM. We art strapped for cash, but if I can't find it cheap enough it wouldn't be practical. I can probably fabracobble a base from scrap. I'm hoping to find a local scrap yard that will sell materials .

Back