LF how to install RPC

Lee in Texas

Registered
Registered
I have the RPC (7.5hp American Rotary). I'm looking for instructions on wiring it to the house and then to the machines (Bridgeport at first, other machines later).

Is this something that can be done by someone who is fairly handy around the house, or should I. Call an electrician?

Thanks, Lee

Last edited:
If electricity doesn't scare you and you don't mind taking the front panel off a panel box to possibly put in a new circuit then I say have at it. You should also have some basic electrical code knowledge too.its really no big deal for someone that's handy.

There supposedly is a decent home electrical eiring book for sale at Lowes. I seem to recall its by Black & Decker. That would help with general wiring basics.

Anyway, what you probably need is a 40 or 50 amp two pole 220 circuit to feed the RPC. I did a 50a, #6 copper wire, 220v circuit to my homemade 10HP. A put a lockable 60 amp disconnect right at the RPC so it couldn't be accidentally turned on. All mine was in thin wall steel conduit just because I like that for a shop.

Then out of the RPC I had a little 3 pole fusible box (found it on eBay) to protect my lathe and out of that a 4 wire, #10 copper flex cord with a twist lock receptacle going to the lathe. Out of the lathe was a matching cord with the twist plug.

Back