Lifting Hardware to move lathe

pdentrem

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I hope that in the future, others may if possible use what I was able to find. The lifting adapter that came with a similar lathe. I posted a picture showing the black lift point to the left of the saddle. I used a borrowed car engine hoist to lift into and out of the trailer. I then left the lathe up high enough to install the stand and then rolled it into position before slowly lowering to final position.

Final Position? Sure that is what I thought!

Recently in the shop I had to move the lathe on it's stand to allow painting etc, so I bought a set of car dollies and set the lathe and stand on them. This allowed me to move the lathe by myself. Just used a GOOD floor jack and hardwood blocks to lift it up and set down.

Just a couple ideas for future reference.
Pierre

Lift-hardware-for-lathe.jpg

Thanks for the infro
That looks like a 12x37 rex -cut lathe sold by busy-bee from the mid 80s. ?
If it is, I have a manual for it

Pierre

That lathe looks the same to me, other than the handles on the head stock. They may have changed them over the yrs. If you can, post more pics of that head stock. I think its the same.

Here is a better shot of the headstock etc. You can see better the lifting adapter as well.

headstock.jpg controls.jpg lathe.jpg

Pierre,
That lifting ring is a great idea!!! You can move it to ballance the machine perfectly and not worry about cutting a strap or bad rigging. Thanks for the great posts and pics.
Bob

This is the best I found to move this style of lathe. They are not that heavy that you need to support from the bottom and use the carriage and tail stock to achieve a proper balance is very handy for sure.
Glad you like it. It not my idea. The rig came with a Jet GHB1340/BDB1340 lathe from the factory.
Pierre

Back