Line From Motor To Drum/Forward Reverse Switch

Hutch

Active User
Registered
Hello, gentlemen. It has six wires all encapsulated in what looks a thick heat shrink rubber tubing.

What is this line called or designated as? The wires are old and brittle and would like to replace/

Thank and as always this forums help is much appreciated.

Hutch

I guess that would be called the motor to switch cable. Six conductor SO or SJ cable is available, normally used in overhead crane control box wiring and those kinds of applications. I don't think you will find it at your local hardware store, but your local electrical supply might have it in stock. Another option would be to use two lengths of 3 conductor cable (designated SO or SJ) which are very available from you local hardware store. Another option is to cut up an old extension cord (normally designated SJC) of appropriate gauge, and use two lengths of that. I keep a few old cords around just for this kind of use.

I guess that would be called the motor to switch cable. Six conductor SO or SJ cable is available, normally used in overhead crane control box wiring and those kinds of applications. I don't think you will find it at your local hardware store, but your local electrical supply might have it in stock. Another option would be to use two lengths of 3 conductor cable (designated SO or SJ) which are very available from you local hardware store. Another option is to cut up an old extension cord (normally designated SJC) of appropriate gauge, and use two lengths of that. I keep a few old cords around just for this kind of use.

Another option would be a piece of liquid-tight flexible conduit and six lengths of stranded wire.

Your being from California, and that being the home/headquarters for a company I have dealt with for over forty years. In fact, between high school and the service, I worked for them for a short while. Great outfit and will have everything you are after. Instead of ten feet of flex hell they will sell you six inches.

Look in the phone book for a electrical wholesale supplier named CED, or Consolidated Electrical Distributers. I believe they are still the largest electrical wholesaler west of the Mississippi.

All you boys should go to these places for your electrical needs. So far ahead of hardware stores and home improvement joints with inventory and knowledge from the staff you will be truly amazed.

One recommendation, being a wholesaler they do not have to sell to you unless you have a business license. So be polite and do not demand anything, do like your mother said--Ask politely! Now go play nice!!!!

Back