Link belt information needed.

littlejack

Active User
Registered
Hey again fellas:
I am going to replace the standard v-belts on my Atlas QC 54, to link belts. I have not had any experience with "link belts".
Questions:
When buying the material, does one ask for the same size material i.e. 1/2" v-belt replaced with 1/2" link belt material?
Is there a preference in the material, i.e. leather over ????? or visa-versa?
Do I need to change out the pulley's, or can I use the same ones?
I think I can get it locally, but for now (Saturday) everything is closed.
Regards
Jack

Last edited:
You will want to request the same width as the belts that your machine uses, and there will be no need to change or modify the pulleys. As for material, link belts are made from fabric and synthetic rubber and there is little if any choice in the material you get. I've never seen them in leather.

Take a look at this page in the McMaster-Carr site to get an idea of what choices there are: http://www.mcmaster.com/#v-belts/=q3wxnd

You will probably want the standard Twist Lock, #1 in 1/2"

Last edited by a moderator:
They can be handy, as you can make up whatever size belt you need if you have stock on hand, but they are a bit expensive.

Some folks claim that they also reduce vibration compared to standard vee belts. I can neither substantiate nor deny that claim. I have used them in a few instances at former workplaces, but I currently am unable to do a real life comparison.

I am using the link belt from harbor freight on my Craftsman 101.07403 and thay do run smother than stock v belts. Ben very happy with them. Another advantage ov a link belt is after several years of use and thay streach just take a link out good as new.

Thank you for your help fellas.
I called my local Harbor freight, and the lady told me that they didn't carry that item.
I think I will call again, and see if I can talk to someone else. I don't think she knew what I was talking about.
Jack

When considering most of the glorious testimonials for link belts versus V-belts, keep in mind that most were written by people who had replaced a 60 year old worn out and hardened V-belt with a new link belt. I've never seen a write-up where anyone had compared a new good quality V-belt of the proper size to a new link belt. Also, if your machine is reversible, read the fine print in the manufacturer's instructions (if you got any). You are only supposed to run a link belt in one direction.

Robert D.

When you call HF just have them check the skew # 43771 Thy won't know by discription. Thay are usley hanging on the wall with power tool acceries .

Back