Link belts

derf

Registered
Registered
Seems like a lot of guys are using link belts on their 9's because it is easy to change belts around the spindle and backgear. They claim link belts cause less vibration and do not take a set when not in use. So where is everyone getting their belts? Harbor Freight has 1/2" belts, but mine uses a "B" width belt, which is 21/32".

I have both HF and Fenner. I like the belts, but they are noisy. I don't use one on my lathe, I elected after the leather one broke to go for a serpentine belt and remove the spindle.
I tried Links on my Clausing 8520 mill. Very Noisy. Also I don't like reversing a link belt. So I switched to a cog belt.
I do use links on my tablesaw , band saw, and sander. I removed it from my drill press. It lowered the vibration on all. My tablesaw will balance a nickel no problems while running.

So lookup Fenner drives for your size belt.

I purchased B size link belt from EBay seller USABearingandBelts. They have various length offerings. This is the 3 ft offering. This runs smooth and quite on my milling machine.

Accusize Link belt on EBay

Longevity may be an issue. I've read that machines used on a daily basis usually get round 3 years on a quality v-belt, but only about 1 year with a link style belt. Otherwise they seem to be great.

I just replaced the cheap v-belt on my lathe with a good name brand v-belt (it had metric pulleys with an imperial belt, I replaced it with metric belt). That took almost all of the vibration out of it.

Back