Resolved Little heavy on the adverts?

Lo-Fi

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I need to renew my membership (which I'm very happy to do), but as it's lapsed, I've got the ads back temporarily. They seem a little on the heavy side and very intrusive... So much so that if I joined now, I'd pretty much leave immediately and never return. I thought I'd speak up in case it's a technical issue that mods and probably most regulars don't see. If not, could I politely question if it's really necessary? I'm using chrome mobile and almost couldn't close enough ads to find the support forum to post!

Curious which browser and operating system you are using. Edit: see that you are using chrome mobile. In my experience, it is very ad friendly and anti-user experience. But switching browsers will not eliminate ads without using ad blockers of sometype and that can detract from user experience as well.

Short answer, Google Ads does a fair amount of heavy lifting on paying the bills. Without it, we don't have this forum. The balance is made up with donations like yours which is very much appreciated.

Long answer, I would love to do away with ads. I'm open to ideas, but I have a hard time seeing a solutiong that doesn't require a nominal fee for all members.

Upvote 0
My account expired the other day and before I renewed that night I tried it out (3) ways.
Android Moto G Power
Android 8" Tablet
My Desktop - Win10Pro.
Browsers: Chrome & Vivaldi
It was blasting ads left & right. Navigation was difficult. Finally got to renew.
Might be a Cookies thing or something, but it acted like the Ad Pusher was not keeping track of what it was pushing down to me.

Upvote 0
My account expired the other day and before I renewed that night I tried it out (3) ways.
Android Moto G Power
Android 8" Tablet
My Desktop - Win10Pro.
It was blasting ads left & right. Navigation was difficult. Finally got to renew.
Might be a Cookies thing or something, but it acted like the Ad Pusher was not keeping track of what it was pushing down to me.
Thanks for the reply Dan. I'm trying to replicate what others are seeing but I'm on Firefox and Windows 11.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply Dan. I'm trying to replicate what others are seeing but I'm on Firefox and Windows 11.

FWIW I only am on it on my IPhone using Tapatalk. No adds but not nearly as nice experience as on a regular computer or even IPad. If I happen to use my IPad. There are a lots of adds. That is to be expected as you stated earlier. You need to make some money to keep the doors open.

I prefer Tapatalk when I am on various Fora due to the ease of posting pictures. Zero drama.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Upvote 0
FWIW I only am on it on my IPhone using Tapatalk. No adds but not nearly as nice experience as on a regular computer or even IPad. If I happen to use my IPad. There are a lots of adds. That is to be expected as you stated earlier. You need to make some money to keep the doors open.

I prefer Tapatalk when I am on various Fora due to the ease of posting pictures. Zero drama.

Cutting oil is my blood.
I use Tapatalk on my iPhone as well. No issues.

Upvote 0
Android Moto G Power
Android 8" Tablet
My Desktop - Win10Pro.

This is exactly what I was experiencing.

No problems with ad support, I know it's necessary. It was the volume that surprised me!

I should have taken some screen grabs - sorry. I had:

Top banner
Bottom banner
Full screen popups every third or 4th page.
Ads every third thread/forum.

There were more ads than content, so it looked like one of those fake spam site's. I'm pretty sure that's not the balance you're going for!

Chrome on latest android.

Upvote 0
I would love for somebody to show me an actual example of a “full screen pop up” on H-M.

They aren’t in our Google Adsense profile and I’ve never been able to replicate them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I get this ad a lot on the site.

To be honest if it is always this one then I am not all that concerned about it. Actually it normally distracts me from any conversation here.

Actually this ad may be preventing me from getting a membership
a38c4be97c3fd91762d0cac1fd59c764.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I would love for somebody to show me an actual example of a “full screen pop up” on H-M.

They aren’t in our Google Adsense profile and I’ve never been able to replicate them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only have to log out, I realised! Some examples, including the full screen ad which appeared the second page I navigated to.

If I can help, do ping me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-02-09-04-37-32-95_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-02-09-04-37-32-95_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_2023-02-09-04-37-07-92_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-02-09-04-37-07-92_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_2023-02-09-04-36-09-91_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-02-09-04-36-09-91_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_2023-02-09-04-36-00-84_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg