Little help with my new Logan 210 lathe

ZombiWelder

Registered
Registered
Howdy everyone!
Just got my first lathe and in need of some help. I'd be greatfull beyond belief if you could help me with change gear selection. The lathe came without change gears and I can't afford to buy a set . I'll be running it using my milling machines VFD which I assume should be helpful. I'll be using carbide Tooling... Currently I have 32/16 stud gear, 48/24 , 54/18 and 72 teeth. I'm not concerned about threading just yet, but wondering what's the gear combination you normally use? Or maybe which gears should I buy for just basic turning off aluminum and steel. I understand there is a big SFPM difference but maybe there's is an average the that works. I'm still in process of buying up tooling so any advice there as greatly appreciated as well.
Thanks a lot.
Arthur

I think there are manuals available at the Vintage Machine web site. Logan Actuator. co is still supporting Logan lathes and they have manuals too and gears, high quality but you pay for it also.

Good luck with the new lathe. There are many Logan owners on this site. I'm still a nuub so can't give much advice. I have a Logan 820 from 1947 and a MW/Logan from 1948. Having fun with both.

John in Minnesota

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!
Ive had a milling machine for couple years but complete nooob with turning. My gear set is for finishing cut .0046 " but i wasnt sure if thats in some way bad for heavier cutting . I still have to find some time clean up the lathe , do some electrical and make space in the shop for it. Just doing the shopping and the research ahead of time.

This is a wonderful forum, the best, with some knowledgeable Logan owners. However, for Logan-specific stuff you should also go to https://groups.io/g/Lathe-List, which Scott Logan, who also runs Logan Actuator, moderates.
Tim

I do most lathe work without using power feed at all. If you have a set of gears for fine feed you can do a lot with that, and hand feeding for rough cuts.
Mark

Should be a chart on the inside of the gear cover on the left side of the headstock. You may not need a complete set of change gears. Just get the ones you need for the threads you are going to make.

One more little question, what's the motor pulley size ? The manual doesn't specify.. mine is Missing for some reason

Back